Pillars of Merlotte 15

Center of the Heart Nebula imaged in Bortle 8 sky with Radian quad filter.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ASI294 camera, Williams gt71 scope.
2 hours in backyard
PP in Astropixel, Pixinsight (Starnet++), Capture one, Affinity

2 Likes

Wow, I had no idea what this was till I read your comment. This is really cool. The big one is the one to see and admire. Nicely done Dan.

The new rig is a great improvement! The narrowband filter is very impressive for that much light pollution. The processing is much improved too. There are “pinpoint” artifacts from one of the sharpening steps, but that should be something you can work out.

I wonder if the orange cast may be due to the amount of LP coming through in the Ha/OIII/SII band. Maybe worth playing with some color balance, if you haven’t, as the color camera should be able to render colors pretty accurately.

Amazing you were able to capture this from your backyard! This is a great image that shows space can be so strange and beautiful.

Two hours is quite the shutter speed!

Amazing the place where we live, eh? Beautiful. For what it is worth… I would: 1. work on a tighter, vertical crop around the vertical pillar in the center. Maybe some of the left side, too. But the center, and its swirls, are the interesting parts of the photo. Also, 2. I would introduce some mid-tones, reduce the contrast a bit in certain areas on the sides. Those dark clouds might hold some mighty detail that would be of interest. I love contrast, but save it for the most important part of the photo, the center. Very cool work, sir!

1 Like

Wow, another beauty, and from your backyard no less. I see a coffee table book with these images in your future!