Pine Siskin

Another one from November of 2010. It looks as if we had a light snow that had almost disappeared by evening when this image was taken (at our latitude 4:30 is pretty late by November 23rd). There’s not sign I processed this and I’m not sure why because I do like it.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. Not much done to this one other than cropping and brightening the bird a bit.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does this composition work? I’d have liked to get the bird just a tad closer to the right edge, but I didn’t want to hit that snow patch with the edge of the frame.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D, 500 mm f/4 ISL + 1.4 TC, probably on a tripod with gimbal head for this one, f/8, 1/500, iso 400, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4182x2796 before export. Taken at 4:33 pm on November 23rd, 2010.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Dennis, very nice capture - good sharpness and pose on the bird, nice environment with all the greenery, and the snow adds a point of interest too. Well done.

Good detail in the siskin and nice lighting. The background of the fir needles and snow makes this shot for me. Well done.

Lovely wintery feel to this image. A nice evergreen with a bit of snow and a puffed up bird trying to stay warm. Well done on the exposure.

The setting here is unbeatable. Bird looks good, and the light is fantastic. The snows tells such a great story.