Pipevine Swallowtail on Wild Radish

Description:

Cleaning out the archives. Several years ago I was hiking back to the car after a session with the Osprey about to fledge when I came across this guy. I had time to retrieve my camera from the pack and grab some handheld shots. By luck the BG was a worn walking path along the edge of a vineyard. He’s a little worn but I’m happy I was able to capture him in good light – the sun would have been below the hills to the west.

Specific Feedback Requested:

All comments welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D2, Canon 100-400 II at 400, f/5.6, 1/2500 (had been trying for Osprey in flight and didn’t take time to change it), ISO 1000. Hand held. Reprocessed with the TK linear profile (which I LOVE!!!) and Topaz DeNoise. Minor cleanup on the flowers. Pretty much full frame.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Diane, this is a lovely look at both the swallowtail and the flower. The comp. is excellent and the background pleasantly inviting (even if it is a warn path… :grinning:)

Beautiful capture of one of our most beautiful swallowtails. Good details in both the butterfly and flowers, and a pleasing background. This one is a winner!

Wow this is gorgeous. The background is perfect for the delicate colors in the flower and the butterfly. Looks like the wild radish again. Thanks for digging this one out.

Pretty nice Diane. You probably lost some crispness in the body hairs due to the high ISO, but still an outstanding comp. TK’s linear profile is awesome and allows more precision in controlling sliders during processing. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Diane, this is lovely. What is not to like about this image. So glad you went back into your archives and found this one. This is worth some wall space.