Playing IN The rain

Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania

A pair of lion cubs jostling in the rain

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Does the rain take away from the image ?

Fortunate to be able to witness and enjoy these precious moments

Technical Details

3 Likes

Nope, this is so engaging and cute that I don’t mind the rain at all. Neither do they. Just a couple of playful kids doing what they do best. Really a treat to see them.

2 Likes

Such a cute moment you captured! I think the rain adds to it. I love the look of the wet fur and the rain not bothering them one bit. So sweet!

1 Like

Awesome, moment, that you captured perfectly, Karl.

1 Like

Ditto what @Vanessa_Hill said !
In fact I love the touch of rain. You may add some more canvas at the bottom.

1 Like

This is a cropped image - I have more canvas and I agree - thnaks!

What a fine shot, Karl. The eye contact with the viewer combined with the connection between the two subjects (I really love the perpendicular perspectives the two cubs offer up) is wonderful. That green background plays off their fur color quite well, and the subtle rain adds a nice texture when viewed larger.

I honestly think the right 10-15% or so of the image adds nothing to the frame. It often makes sense to include full bodies in an image, but in this case much of the bottom cub is obscured over on that side anyway. And because so much of our attention is held by the triangle of cub faces and bodies, I think the extra space on the right just throws that shape off-center. Ultimately, our gaze will end up resting on the top cub’s face (even the other cub is looking that way!), so I see nothing wrong with bringing it closer to the center of the frame.

Sorry for the dealy @Max_Waugh - was travelling

I think you have a point - I generally like keeping the whole body with some breathing room - here the focus of attention is the heads of the 2 cubs ( tail is a bonus :slight_smile: }
The 10-15 % crop works quite well - thanks!

1 Like