Playing with Portraiture

Hi Folks,
I’ve been a bit absent on this site lately. I shifted to ICM in an abstract expressionist style and now I’m playing with portraiture. Between the inability to travel (combo of Covid and my wife’s recent cancer diagnosis) and the smoke hanging over Oregon this Fall, I’ve found myself taking pictures of what’s around me (i.e. ICM of furniture and color swatches and self portraits!!).

Anyway, just wanted to drop in, explain my absence of late, and share my latest work, which is a set of self portraits using off-camera flash.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Does the warm color palette distract?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’m intentionally doing partial faces, half shadow, no face, etc. It’s part of my attempt to articulate being lost in space, isolated, sad, but at the same time in a place of longing and prayerfulness.

Any pertinent technical details:

All done with Canon 5diii, 24-105mmL, and off-camera use of 480ex speedlight.

The lighting is very nice on all of theser photos. Regarding composition, the ones with lots of negative space do not have as much of an impact as versions 3 & 4. Version 3 is the one that I like the best-- it has a very strong composition. # 4 has a few bright highlights that can be burned in as they catch my eye. Other than that, keep shooting and well done…Jim