Playtime

The amazing and humbling winter storms and high surf are back, so the Coast Guard is out practicing.
These are the MLB 47’s - $1.3 million, 47 ft of self-righting , self-bailing power.
More here, for those interested: https://www.military.com/equipment/47-foot-motor-lifeboat-mlb

2018:12:13 11:06:45
D850
Sigma 150-600mm @ 370mm
1/4000 sec, f/8
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
ISO: 640
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off

all comments welcome

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Sandy–That’s an impressive shot. I like the comp as is. Well done…Jim

Great shot Sandy, I think the wide crop adds to the intensity and gives it scale. as does the land mass off in the distance.

Hmmm, “All comments welcome” …
It looks like a bright sunny day with heavy shadows so I think I would clip the histogram a bit and see what that does for the overall look of it, Personally I would go for trying to darken the shadows in the surf and maybe even the main spray over the boat and see if that gives it a more foreboding look.

But hey, You were the one there and can best PP to what your eye saw.

I think it is really a neat shot Wish I was there!

Spectacular, Sandy. It makes me very glad that I spent my navy time on a nice safe submarine! I suspect the young guys aboard think this is a fun ride.

Your timing was superb. I particularly like the way the spray off the bow mimics the shape of the sea stacks in the background.

You need to send them a print of this one (in a water-tight frame).

Hi, Greg - there will be lots of “foreboding” images later on during the bad storms, and probably a rescue or two that I catch - (this was taken from our front deck) -
THIS image is meant to be bright and sunny, and playful.
I know several of the young Coast Guard guys and they LIVE for days like this! (even if they are not getting their paychecks these days…grrrrrrrrr)
Sandy

that’s definitely an E ride ticket. Like I said wish I was there and what a location you got. definitely envious. can’t wait for more.

Once upon a time I saw a lot of this firsthand at Station Cape Disappointment Sandy, and you nailed it. While most photogs crop tightly, I prefer your broad view to include the setting. To me it’s more dramatic while representative of what other viewers will see.

Perfectly timed action shot. It has to be scary being on this thing. How is it even possible to 1) hold on and 2) keep from freezing while attempting to do so?

They’re actually strapped in and wearing dry suits. And helmets. And life jackets. And they’re young! What a bunch of great “kids.”

Tony - what Hank said!
I’ve taken and given/sold the CG so many pictures that we have gotten to know a number of the guys. They are mostly 20’s, early 30’s and passionate! The LIVE for days like this.
They say the 2 "best’ places to train for the CG (ie the absolute worst weather, fiercest storms, biggest waves, most danger ), are Hank’s Cape Disappointment on the east coast, and Brookings, here on the west coast.
All the boaters here (us among them) are VERY happy to have a CG station here since they do many, many rescues - from just dragging “dead” boats in, to the “truly life-saving-in-the-wicked-storms” rescues. There is also a CG helicopter station just up the coast, and they often come down to help/search.
And we have a front-row seat - we just LOVE it here.
S.

Sandy: another great and powerful photo of our Coast Guard. Those folks don’t get paid enough. Richard