Portage Glacier

Portage Glacier

Portage Glacier, one of the most blue glaciers in Alaska, is in the Chugach NF near Whittier, was once one of Alaska’s most easily viewed glaciers through the windows of the Begich, Boggs Visitor Center. Rapid recession of the glacier has left a large lake in its wake and the terminus is now no longer visible from the visitor center. Visitors can view the glacier on cruise boats leaving from the visitor center, or, as I did, hike over from Whittier via Portage Pass.

EF 28-70mm @ 70mm; F/20 @ 1/160 sec, ISO 400; Auto exposure, AV mode; Centerweighted-average metering; Auto WB

1 Like

Thanks for posting Bob, and mentioning that glacier is no longer visible from the visitor center. When I visited 20 some years ago, the video presentation was very dramatic when at the end the curtains slid a way and the glacier was seen through some large picture windows in the auditorium. The talk was about a single rock that just recently became visible as the ice was melting and breaking away.

Thank you, Stephen. This image was made five years ago. I feel confident that the rock you mention is now dominating the central portion of the toe of the glacier. It forms a nice background for the cruise boats when they visit the glacier because of the contrast of the dark rock with the white boats as well as a scale reference as the boats are 80 feet long. I am attaching another image shoeing that.

Very good, that was the location. The formation is larger now than what I remember in the years gone by. Thanks again, I like both images.

Back
Forward