Predawn Bliss

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was taken at a County nature preserve near me where I’ve done a lot of restoration work over the last 25 years. We hold an annual Prairie Appreciation Day (PAD)on it in May but during the pandemic we couldn’t do that and the county parks were completely closed during that period. Instead of holding the event, we created a virtual PAD on the website. Since I live next door, I happen to know that there are back ways in to the preserve and I went out there early in May to get some images. This area had a very good controlled burn the previous year so there was no dead growth from the previous year to mar the scene and the time before dawn was indeed blissful. The mounds you see in the image are called Mima Mounds and the type location for them is about 3 miles north of this preserve.

Specific Feedback

There’s nothing dramatic about this image, but I was trying for the peaceful feel of the predawn morning. I’d be interested in how you feel that came across.

Technical Details

Canon 5Diii, EF 28-70 @28 mm, tripod, 12 vertical images stitched in LR, f/8, 1/50, iso 1250. Taken May 9, 2020 at 5:31 AM.

1 Like

Nice; for me, it does capture the crisp coolness of a clear morning.

Dennis, a true blue hour image here. The big tree to the left actually provides a nice balance to the other group in the distant right area. The Mima Mounds are truly a new one on me. While viewing the larger version between the low fog and mounds are I actually had a slight sensation of movement. Just an eye vacillation of some sort viewing the open terrain there… :+1:

Dennis, the predawn peace is palpable in this excellent view. The full moon is a great addition that helps well at balancing the left-right visual flow.