Pumas in Snow (Repost)

I recently compiled my favorite photo moments of this past year, and was looking back on my 2017 list. This was my favorite wildlife shot from that year, and looking at it again gets me excited to head back to Patagonia in May. I’m reposting it here on the new site.

Quick background on this moment, for those that missed it the first time: My clients and I were driving back to our hotel at the end of the day in Torres del Paine National Park in Chile. A wet autumn snow had begun to fall and we were joking about how great it would be to find a puma in the snow. And then our driver spotted one! Not just in the snow, but hiding out under a very colorful–Christmas-like, I thought–bush on the edge of a stand of trees that had been charred by wildfire. It was a magical combination of elements, only made better by the fact that two little cubs began peeking out from behind mom.

Two keys that made this image work, aside from the great setting and subjects: First, we lucked out that they were near the road. You are not allowed to venture off-road or off-trail in the national park, so this was photographed from the vehicle. Second, the snowfall was pretty heavy, so I knew we should take a lot of photos in hopes of landing some where no big flakes were obscuring the faces of the cats. I guess it worked out.

Canon 1DX
Canon 600mm
ISO 1600
1/250th
f/4
Minus 1/3 exp. comp.

Max

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.
2 Likes

Max, what a perfect photo! The background is perfectly out of focus too!

1 Like

Hi Max !

I surely remember this one, it was one of the finest pictures posted last year !

Cheers !

1 Like

A great scene, perfect colors, a fantastic atmosphere… What a splendid image!

1 Like

Outstanding image Max, and congratulations on your award! A truly exceptional capture!

1 Like

Awesome shot, Max! You were at the right place at the right time. Congratulations on this spectacular shot!

1 Like

Max, I think I might have missed commenting on this one original, but wanted to take time to give it a two :+1::+1: thumbs up now. Also congratulations on the EP for 2018 too…:sunglasses:

1 Like

Congratulations Max. This is such a fantastic image.

1 Like

Max
This is magical. Congratulations on the 2018 award.

1 Like

Stunning photo in such a wonderful setting. Congrats!

1 Like

Thank you, everyone. And thanks to the editors for the selection!

Max

Max, this is just stunning. The included environment, rather than a tighter crop, is one of the things that make this a standout. The cats, with the little ones peeking out, the snowflakes, the touch of colour - it’s all perfect.
Congrats on a fine yearly pick!
Sandy

1 Like

Beauty!