Pumas of Patagonia: May 4 - 11, 2022

My 2021 tour was rescheduled for May 2022 due to Chile’s COVID restrictions. We still have spots available!

I’ll be leading my wild puma tour in southern Chile again next May. This trip gives us a full six days of exploration in and around Torres del Paine National Park as we search for pumas and other wildlife. This includes permits to go off-road and off-trail in the large private ranch that borders the park. In addition to pumas, the region offers plenty of other interesting species: guanacos, foxes and culpeos, armadillos, skunks, owls, condors, rheas and more. And of course, it’s a popular landscape photography destination. We will make time for the occasional landscape shoot.

This trip takes place at the end of the “tourist season.” Most park facilities are shut down and crowds are severely reduced. This means we usually end up sharing far fewer encounters with other groups of photographers or other tourists. That, and the fact that we work with an expert guiding and tracking team (some of the same folks who worked on the puma segments for the BBC’s Seven Worlds, One Planet) mean we usually end up with more cat sightings than most groups.

This tour involves a lot of walking over rolling hills, which are occasionally steep, at around 3000 feet in elevation. Participants must be in decent shape, enough to comfortably carry camera equipment a couple miles at a time if needed. The good news is that the effort often pays off in some incredible sightings, sometimes at very close range while on foot.

Learn more about this tour.

And feel free to PM or email me with questions!

Max