Purple Finch

I like the bird itself and the background, but my two concerns are: is the OOF “perch” a major issue and do I need a bit more room on the left. The branch is OOF because the bird was standing on something behind it and never did jump on the branch.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600mm; 1/1640; f7.1; ISO 320; tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A nice, detailed close-up with nice colors, Allen. As for the oof branch, it wouldn’t be a problem (for me) except that it covers the birds feet. I would have liked to see it’s feet but sometimes you have to take what you can get. If the photo was intended to be in the context of its environment then it definitely should have more room in front of the bird but if the intent was to be a detailed, close-up portrait then I think its fine.

Hi Allen, too bad the feet are obscured otherwise the bird looks fine. If mine, I would add space on the left. Nice background as you state. I like the eye detail too.

Nice detail in the Finch, Allen. It is too bad it didn’t hop up on the branch. As the other Allen mentioned, adding canvas on the left is an option You could also replace the foreground branch with an in-focus branch from another frame. If you cloned out the existing branch firs using the background you have, substituting another would be pretty straightforward.

Hi Allen: To your question, the foreground branch does detract this image quite a bit due to not being able to see the feet as the others have mentioned. The bump in the branch also is a little disconcerting, but you might be able to clone that out.

Nice sharp image of this finch and very pleasing background and light.