Quaint Refuge

Kenmore, Torridon, Scotland

This wee red roofed white cottage on the shoreline of Upper Loch Torridon is set in the most beautiful place close to the tiny hamlet of Kenmore. I always try to time my arrival there in Autumn for around 10.30am that way the light (if its present), sneaks around the corner and starts to paint some lemon yellow light on the flanks of the cottage and turn the grass lime green… and no I couldn’t get up even a few centimetres higher to separate that chimney from the island.

Pentax 67II, 55-100 zoom, Polariser, 0.6 Reverse Grad, f/22 at 1 Second, Fuji Velvia 50.

I liked this image the moment I saw the small version of it. Everything is located where it should be and the colors are perfectly harmonious. What a wonderful morning that must have been. There’s a morning freshness about this image. I have to say that I like the upper 3/4 of the image more than the lower part but the house is perfectly situated within the frame and any cropping would damage that balance. What a great sky.

I’m kind of surprised that a home like that would have on small window for 2 of its 4 walls. It must be dark inside.

I echo everything that Igor has mentioned. Everything is in the exact spot that it should be. The thumbnail had me hooked because of the light and the balance of the image. You already picked your own nit with the tension between the chimney and the island but it’s a very small nit. The rock wall leads the eye right into the green grass driveway and takes you straight into the scene where you can park your car and your eyes. The soft muted golden light at the end of the driveway and the side of the house is so inviting. Perfect sky for this image. Well done Ian!!!

Ian,

The further I get away from my film days (5 years already!) the more I appreciate them. This is a wonderful capture - and on Velvia too.

Can’t expand much more than the comments so far. Everything is in it’s place and beautifully photographed.

I can only comment that yup, I too was wishing for some separation - and you’ve pre-empted those nitpicks already… :roll_eyes: So I’ll just leave it there.

Beautifully processed btw.

Lon

A perfect composition, Ian, and gorgeous morning light. You just feel what a beautiful place that must be to live ( and I wouldn’t have noticed the chimney if you hadn’t mentioned it ! )

Ian, this is so beautiful. Your composition is spot on, as is your exposure. No nits whatsoever from me; just enjoying its beauty.

Ian, you get all accolades from me too. I especially ditto @Igor_Doncov. I notice a small square object in the left edge in front of a reddish bush. Perhaps it could be cloned out; what do you think?

This scene looks like it belongs in a fairy tale, there is a real mystical quality to it. The light and colors are gorgeous. I love the way the light is playing on the cottage, warm on the right side, and cool on the backside. Regarding the chimney, with light like this, who cares? Beautiful work Ian.

Thank you everyone. I noticed the wooden planter in the left corner of the garden too. I suspect some judicious healing and cloning might well be appropriate Larry.