Rainier Morning

Every fall, my wife and I take a week to explore our National Parks. In 2020, we visited Mt. Rainier National Park and spent the week exploring and hiking the numerous trails on the southwest side near Paradise. Throughout the week, the valley would fill with smoke from all the wildfires in the PNW and at some points, you couldn’t see the mountain.

I arrived to Reflection lakes early to ensure a good spot to photograph from. The parking lot was bare with only a few other people waiting to see the mountain in all her glory. This shot was from about 15 ft. from the shore in order to capture the reflection on the glassy water. I captured at least 30 images during this time. The air was cool, approx. 36 degrees, no breeze which I definitely did not want in order to capture the reflection. This image was taken at 8:04 am, Sept. 11, 2020. It is a constant reminder of how the world should be; calm, pristine, and tranquil. For the time I spent here, I could forget the world and enjoy the sounds of nature, the beauty of our world, and connect with my senses.

Technical Details

Composite: No
I set up on my tripod and shot this with my Canon EOS T6 and Tamron 10-24 mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD at 18 mm. Settings: Manual, ISO 400, f/8.0, 1/60 sec. The focal point is primarily on the on the water as I wanted the reflection sharper than the trees. With the Tamron 10-24, this wide angle lens is great for landscapes on a crop sensor body. I also had a Canon 6DMII, which does not bode well with wide angle lenses.

2 Likes

Gorgeous, Todd. Thanks you for sharing this beautiful photo and your travel experience. Very nicely done.

1 Like

Thank you so much @linda_mellor. I making my resolutions this year to try an post more images.

1 Like