Raining Fire

Raining Fire - I had an incredible two evenings to shoot the Perseids meteor shower in Badlands NP this past August. Must have seen a hundred or so meteors. Of course, many of those outside the direction I had my camera pointed. Regardless, it was a warm and clear night/morning to enjoy the night sky.

Pertinent technical details or techniques to help others learn:
Used a star tracker for base Milky Way image. Meteors were captured with Rokinon 14mm lens, ISO 5000, f2.4, 25 seconds.

If this is a composite please be honest with your techniques and share some details so others can learn:

FYI…for those wondering, yes, this is a composite image. However, the long meteor transecting through the Milky Way was in an original capture. Because I use a star tracker which creates blurred foreground, I take a separate foreground image taken after sunset.

Cheers

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.

Ken, your technical work paid off with an amazing look at the MW, meteors, and Badlands landscape which made for a wonderful composite…:+1:

Very cool mw…the fg composites done this way always kinda rub me the wrong way. I struggle w them myself.

aF

Great capture of the sky. The meteors make it a special image, I wonder whether it needs the foreground. Maybe the fg could be a bit darker? Anyway, I like it.

Ken the sky here looks awesome, the tracker did a great job for you. The detail you got in the stars is outstanding. I also like your color balance in the sky, I prefer cooler MW shots. And you couldn’t have asked for the meteors to line up any better.

Ken, pretty much agree with Paul’s comments. Outstanding night-sky image and having the Badlands as the earth’s anchor - hard to go wrong there! Great job.

Thanks for all the comments! I realize not all folks appreciate composites, but digital creativity can take on many forms. I like creating these night sky images since many folks never have had an opportunity to see what a timed exposure of the night sky can look like.
Cheers

No I think it needs the foreground. It anchors the whole image. What sky tracker were you using if I might ask? Was the MW also photographed at those same camera settings? So you only tracked for 25 seconds?

Youssef, I used the iOptron skytracker. However, as it turned out my base settings were quite adequate for capturing sharp stars. I decided to use the base settings even though it was shot at ISO 5000 since I captured the meteor streaking through the Milky Way. I certainly didn’t anticipate that! That said, I did take a few other Milky Way base shots just in case. I normally shoot at ISO 800 , f2.4 @ 2 minutes with the skytracker.
Cheers