Recent Wisconsin Hoar Frost +rework

Rework:

Original:

(I haven’t thought of a title yet!)

Last week in Wisconsin we got some incredible fog which developed into hoar frost and rime ice. It was the most beautiful wintry conditions ever seen in my 3.1 decades living here. I ended up getting ~10 images and I wish I got out even more.

Anyway, here’s my favorite.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m pretty happy with this one but I am always open to any feedback. Can you see any manmade stuff in the background?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 100, 240mm, f/11, 1/100 sec, tripod

There were some manmade things in the background, and since I want to print this large I went to great lengths to remove them. First, I converted the image to black and white and added a blue cast to make it look like the original color version. This eliminated some objects that were basically un-clone-able. Next, I did some very meticulous cloning and frequency separation to get rid of bits of chain link fence showing through the trees. I didn’t notice these things when I took the shot because I was pretty far away. Otherwise, very little editing is needed for these gorgeous frosty scenes.

brentgoesoutsidephoto
2 Likes

Yeah, this looks like some pretty spectacular conditions Brent, lucky you. The lacy ice looks like someone sprinkled powdered sugar on the landscape. I do not see any evidence of man-made elements, so your hard work paid off. I love the spider-like shape of the tree in the ULC.

My only suggested tweak is to burn down the highlights of the bright trees just to the right of the bottom center of the image. Otherwise, enjoy your print !!!

Very cool, figuratively and literally. I agree with Ed on the bright trees in the lower right quadrant. They’re just a tiny bit brighter than the rest. I do see what looks like a telephone pole cross piece and maybe a bit of wire about 1/3 up from the lower left. I’d love to see this phenomenon some day.

Brent, this is a great look at a hoarfrost event. Your “human touch removal” looks complete and the overall tonality fits well. The brightness of the brightest bits is an important part of telling the hoarfrost story.

Thanks for the feedback, all! I darkened the light branches at the bottom and found a few more man-made bits. I’m not 100% sure if I got what you were referring to @Bonnie_Lampley, but I’ve been panning around at 200% zoom for so long I think that anything left must be a branch rather than a pole. I hope :laughing:

@Brent_Clark, here is what I saw:
brentgoesoutside