Red and Yellow, Blue and Green

The last couple of days it’s been freezing at night. The ice melts in the day, and thin, new, birefringent ice can be found on the water tubs outside the next morning. The bubble-like formation above reminded me of a psychedelic prism. Which called to mind Gale Garnett’s Prism Song (you know, from the 60’s), hence the title. I thought a quartet of shots in a symmetrical formation could illustrate how the same structure in ice shows very different colours when the angle changes just a fraction.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Any other way these four shots could have been effectively presented?

Technical Details

D 500 + 105mm macro + CPL 1/200 f13 ISO 250

Processed in PS, then cropped, rotated and moved to form quartet. Final dose of Contrast.

4 Likes

Definitely 60s feel, Mike. I can’t help with other options for this type of shot, mainly because we rarely have any type of birefringent ice down here. But I do love all the colors. Nicely seen.

1 Like

Nicely seen Mike. Each image is simple enough that it might not stand very well on its own, but the four of them work very well together and do a great job of showing off the variety of colors that can be seen. (BTW, rotating the polarizer can also change the colors, at least sometimes.) I’m also thinking that this might be an amoeba as seen through a microscope… :grin:

1 Like

Mike, first simply fascinatingly beautiful imagery and kudos for the quad panel (I don’t know what it would be called beyond a triptych…) Great job putting this together.

I must mention unrelated to your image but your reference to Gale Garnett’s song. To be truthful, I had to google it and I don’t recall ever hearing that song. (I was about 6…) But in that search i came across the song, “We’ll sing in the sunshine” and it immediately transported me back in time as I remember this song vividly as one my parent’s listened to when I was so young. thanks for the trip down memory lane! psychedelics and all !

Lon

1 Like

Thanks, @Lon_Overacker and I’m glad you liked the quartet. Actually The Prism Song was the B-side of “We’ll Sing in the Sunshine” - a great song which won a Grammy. It was one of the few discs I bought back then!

Hi Mike, this is a wonderful and creative presentation of the ice. Fantastic colors in each image and the uniform crop is the right approach in my mind. Well seen and recorded. Did you try arranging them so that they form an “X” Basically, move the right column to the left and perhaps swap the colors where the cooler one is opposite from each other in a diagonal.

1 Like

That’s something I hadn’t considered. Here’s what I think you have in mind @Alfredo_Mora. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Hi Mike, yes exactly! Sort of like dragonfly wings. :grinning:

1 Like