Red Fox in the forest

Good day everyone,

i recently visited Huntley Meadows Park, as suggest here and apart from some nice bird and beaver encounter this fox crossed my path.

It only stopped for a few seconds, quite far away and focus isn´t 100% correct, but i quite like the scene.

As this is more or less uncropped, would you have used any other crop, or editing?

Nikon D5 with AF-S 180-400mm incl. 1.4 TC @ 560mm f5.6, 1/800s, ISO 3200

cheers

Denis

I really like the feel of woodland in this frame and great subject too, although bit shy.
I would like to retain the whole woodland but would prefer to crop some of the foreground.

I agree with you on the nice scene. It’s beautiful. For the crop, I think I’d want to bring the lower left corner in to cut out some of the foreground as Jagdeep suggests and also to remove some of the left to bring the fox a little more off center.

This is a cool scene, and I like that you chose to shoot it loose, Denis.

Regarding the composition and crop, I have to say I like the centered placement of the subject. The flanking trees and what appears to be a triangle of fallen logs help bring the eye to the center. It’s a great choice. As a result, I’m not opposed to leaving it as-is. However, I can see how cropping off the bottom (just above the big foreground log) would make for a more traditional, and slightly cleaner composition. That big log is a bit distracting visually, so while I like the balance of the overall scene, removing the bottom portion would produce a cleaner, and equally-effective presentation.

Max

Max summed up exactly my thoughts a I just have to reiterate how much the OOF trees draw my eye toward the fox. Since this is not cropped yet, it looks like you could easily play with a crop to add some icing to an already great cake!

Usually I find myself wanting the subject to be less centered, but in this case I quite like it. I also like how small he is in the frame, it conveys a good sense of habitat. A very artistic image!