Red Saddlebag dragonfly

I’ve enjoyed everyone’s dragonfly images. Thought I’d add to the party. I think this is a Red Saddlebag, but not sure.

I went out with two others for some bird photography. On our way back one of us wanted to try to get a dragonfly in the air. It must have been pretty hilarious seeing three photographers, with long lenses, moving our camera to and fro as the dragonfly moved around in a clearing.

It was really difficult for the autofocus to lock onto the dragonfly. I found myself moving the focus ring manually and that was only somewhat successful when the dragonfly hung stationary for a moment or two, before darting off again.

Specific Feedback Requested

There’s a nice soft background, but I think its kind of a boring image! What about you?

Technical Details

D500 with 200-500mm lens.
500mm (so, 750mm effective)
f/5.6
1/500
ISO 100

Mostly Lightroom edits including masking the subject and applying some texture, clarity and sharpness. Cropped a lot. I also applied a small Orton effect, trying to get a little something extra.

2 Likes

Wow, Mark. Caught in flight too. Terrific catch. Sharp where it needs to be, wonderful background. An all around winner.

Very difficult to pull off - well done. To get such a smooth BG is a bonus. Not boring at all. I can’t make out two wings on the dragonfly’s left side; it looks a bit like 3! Was there a tear in the hindwing?

Oh wow, Mark, I have tried this more than once and have yet to capture one in flight. Kudos to you. As already stated, sharp where needed and that BG really makes him pop. Great shot!

Hi Mark, nice catch and really hard to do! Nice contrast with the background. Congrats!

Thank you @David_Bostock , @Mike_Friel , @Shirley_Freeman , and @Allen_Sparks . Appreciate the feedback. I must have taken about 100 shots to get 1 that is mostly in focus. @Mike_Friel , I see what you mean about that wing. It might be a tear, but just can’t tell. I wonder almost if it is the very end of its body/tail?

2 Likes

Not boring at all – it’s so hard to get this kind of shot! Nicely sharp and an interesting specimen with a great BG!

1 Like