Redwoods along the Smith River

The Smith River in northern California is the largest free flowing river in California. It’s bed is rich in tourmaline, a mineral that gives it an amazing aqua/green color. I took this shot while walking through the redwoods. The river really was this color; it has not been enhanced much at all.

Specific Feedback Requested

As usual, any and all comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Technical Details

That river is beautiful. I like your composition of us looking through the tree at the water. Don’t know what to suggest. There are some dark areas like the lower right corner but I don’t think I would raise the shadows in this case.

Tony, this is awesome. A very unique composition that works very well. I wouldn’t change a thing. Simply awesome.

Hi Tony,

Kudos for not only seeing this comp, but for actually going for it! Love the view thru the trees to the colors and reflected light of the river. I think very important that the brighter reflection has color with the light blues contrasting with the “tourmaline” greens. If that brighter area were closer to white this wouldn’t be working as well.

The only nitpick would be the sharpness on the trunk. Not an image killer per se, but viewing large it’s front and center and I’m wishing was a bit sharper. I see the bows and leaves are sharp so it’s a selective focus and depth thing. Really, it shouldn’t be an issue and likely not for most folks as the story is about the “view” to the river thru the trees - it’s not about the trunk, I get it. It’s even dark because it’s in shade… yet, I couldn’t help but mention. Getting pretty picky.

Love what you saw and that you recognized the potential here.

Lon