Resident Hummer

I love photographing hummers. We have a pair and a single that remain year around even with our sometimes below zero temps. We have heated feeders. Lots of big trees and heavy bushes in neighborhood.

Specific Feedback Requested

Background and left side.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
7DII; 1/1250th; 6.3; spot; wb: auto; ISO 1600; 100-400 @400;

1 Like

Excellent details in the hummer’s plumage, Jim. The left side of the image doesn’t bother me much, but those bright out of focus background twigs on the right do pull my eye. I’d leave the twigs with the berries.

I’m curious about your heated feeders. We use a heat lamp on one but it’s not very efficient.

Agree with Dennis’s assessment, you could easily clone out the branches, but leave the berries. The feathers are beautifully crisp and I love that they’re slightly ruffled. A tactic to stay warm no doubt. Lovely light, too.

Excellent detail on the large version. I like the foreground branches and berries; agree with removing the background branches.

I am really enjoying the light on this hummingbird. Detail and pose are superb. I do agree with Dennis about the out of focus branches on the right side. I also have Anna’s hummingbirds spending time year-round in my neighborhood near Olympia. The cold temperatures don’t seem to affect them. But I would also like to hear about your heated feeders as that becomes an issue for me sometimes.

Hi Jim
It looks like you are running a 5 star feeding station. The quality of the Humming Bird photograph had my complete attention and it wasn’t until I read all the review, did my eye view the twigs in the background. It must be nice to have Humming Birds year round.
Peter

@Dennis_Plank , @Kris_Smith , @Dennis_Plank and @David_Schoen I agree with removal, but my limited skills will probably prevent me from doing so. @peter While it takes more time it is nice to help protect the hummers (and others) that provide us with enjoyment.
Heated Feeders: I just use standard light for heat plug in feeders. I place them close to the house, in a covered area out of wind. I check it daily and sometimes several times a day when very cold. I wish there were a better way.