Riding a rail of green

Borrowed my wife’s macro lens and went for a walk around the block. Found this guy in a walkway that was coincidentally the only place not feeling the high winds.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything would be appreciated

Technical Details

Nikon z6ii 105mm macro 1/3200s F/3.2 ISO 400

1 Like

A beautifully sharp skipper-difficult to achieve at f3.2. For my taste, if it were cropped just to the left of the central stalk/leaf it would lead to a more balanced composition.

Kristian, the little skipper (likely a Least Skipper, if you’re in North America) stands out nicely in all the green. Where you position the subject depend on the story that you want the photo to tell. In this case, it looks like you want to show the skipper but also show how it fits into the environement and the challenge of finding this tiny butterfly. Having it lower and a bit further right in the frame would work better for that mix of showing the bf and its environment. Cropping as per Mike Friel’s suggestion is emphasizing the portrait of the bf, hence the issue of “the story”. Tilting the camera up a bit, would also remove that sharp leaf coming in from the bottom left (cloning it out in this view would help). The bright oof leaf coming in from the bottom corner is another attention grabber. You can clone it also or burn it in, to reduce how much attention it gets.

2 Likes

Kristian, I love the color contrast in this image. @Mark_Seaver has provided some wonderful guidance. I can’t think of anything else to add to improve the image. Nice details in the skipper.

1 Like

Nice!! I like the slightly non-standard crop here, as it feels to me as if it was a fleeting capture before the little guy got away. The lines of the grasses are dynamic which adds to that feeling. I agree to cloning out the two bright details intruding from the bottom.