Rinjani volcano - Indonesia

I love vibrant color, travel and landscape photography.
I am an engineer working in the automotive industry and I get the chance to travel the world with my job: Originaly from France, I have been living in Japan, China and now since a couple of months in Thailand. Would love to continue to learn about new photography technics and be able to make something out of my photography

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comment is welcome. If possible extended to my work viewable on my website https://sebastienlebris.fr/.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Long exposure shot
Double post-processing using Adobe Lightroom and ColorEffect

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@sebastienlebris

1 Like

Welcome aboard, Sebastien! Your first post is filled with beautiful vibrant colors but retains a very realistic look. I have mixed feelings about the tree on the left, but I can’t seeing cropping the image as it would hinder the composition for me. I might clone out the single group of leaves on the edge though.

I look forward to seeing more of your work and reading your insights into the work of others.

Hi and welcome Sebastien! A stunning location you’re showing here, I like the smaller volcano below the higher peaks surrounding it, I like the lava flow into the lake and the sidelight.
I agree with @Harley_Goldman about the greens on the left, I personally would crop some and maybe clone some (if stepping further to the right is not an option :wink: ). I find the luminosity change at the upper part of the tree also a bit distracting.
Another thing, also of personal taste, is the blues in the shadows of the higher peaks, I find those a bit too much, especially since the shadows are much warmer in the rest of the image.
It must have been exciting to enjoy and photograph this view!

Welcome to NPN Sebastian, this is a very interesting first post. That looks like a very dynamic and exciting location for photography. I think your composition is pretty strong, I like how the foreground ridge frames the rest of the scene. And you have made great use of diagonal lines throughout the image. I agree with @Harley_Goldman about cloning away the leaves along the left edge above the horizon, otherwise the rest of the tree works as a decent framing element.

Color is a very subjective thing, but similar to @Ron_Jansen comment, something looks slightly off with the shadow areas. In real life, shadows are generally cooler than highlights. The shadows are inconsistent here, they are too warm in the foreground ridge, relative to how the shadows look in the background mountain. I think you could cool the shadows in foreground, and slightly warm them in the background to bring the shadows into better balance through out the scene.