Ripple in the Sahara

I apologize for the lack of participation here lately as I have been on travel lately. This year I had the fortune to visit Morocco with some friends. The trip is mostly non-photographic but when we were in the Sahara, I couldn’t help myself to click a few frames. Perhaps I have been to Death Valley too many times but the Sahara did not impress me. It was a tourist trap honestly.

This one is a scene that I extracted on our last day while waiting for our pickup to continue on to Fes. The sun had just risen and there was so much haze in the air.

All feedbacks are more very much welcomed!

Nikon D750, 200mm, f/32, 0.8 sec, ISO 200

@adhikalie

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Adhika,
The textures and lines really shine when opening the large version. Before reading your title and commentary my guess was Death Valley. I love the earth tones as well as the lighting in this desert scene. Great job on this.

1 Like

Pleasing image - relaxing…and I particularly like the subtle complementary colors in the shadow. Doesn’t look like direct sun, but filtered light…I think that adds to the serene nature of the image.

1 Like

Adhika, It’s like an abstract painting and in the way Lon @overacker is experimenting. I like that, because you can let your fantasy go on it in PP.

1 Like

This image really shines when viewing the larger size image. I like the lower contrast processing you used, it creates a very soothing feeling, and lets the subtle colors come through. The color of the shadows in particular are nicely handled. This is getting extremely picky, but my only suggestion for improvement would be to deal with the last ripple on the right. Just below the center of the image there is a minor clipping of the ripple by the frame edge. I wish that ripple was not so tight to the edge.

1 Like

Beautiful and wonderfully understated, Adhika. It makes a great abstract and would make a beautiful large print.

1 Like

Adhika, the subtle tones and details look great here. There’s a very soothing feeling to looking at the large view. Well seen.

1 Like

Such a simple image and yet, so beautiful. I like it a lot.

1 Like

Adhika,

Great to see a post from you - and no apologies necessary.

Concur with most all the comments - this is beautiful. The lower contrast approach is refreshing and the hint of salmon color is quite lovely.

No nits or suggestions!

Lon

1 Like

@Ed_Lowe, @Jim_McGovern, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Ed_McGuirk, @Harley_Goldman, @Mark_Seaver, @Tom_Nevesely, @Lon_Overacker:

Thanks, guys. @Ed_McGuirk I totally see your point about the rightmost ripple. I looked at the master file and saw there is some room to wiggle to the right but the spacing between that and the next ripple to its right is a little big which gives rise to a bigger gap on the UR corner. One way I can think of to solve this problem is by doing this crop instead. This is a shift to the left from to the original crop.

The rework looks good Adhika. The way the ripple intersects the frame edge now looks like a deliberate choice, whereas before it did not. When taking these type of shots in the field, I used to try hard to “see and fix” all these things in the field, but would often miss a few minor problems. Now all I do is try to get it close to “right” and then compose wider to leave a margin for error.

1 Like