River Bottoms

With all the high water we have had through spring and summer I have not had a chance to get into the Wisconsin River Bottoms until now. Yesterday morning I headed in there with the conditions being just what I love. We had light rain, lots of mist, light fog and with some sunlight breaking through at times. The river bottoms were quite a mess overall but still quiet and mysterious as I always think of them. Mosquitos were bad and I stumbled over hidden logs and trees underwater along with tall grass and brush but finally came away with this picture. I was soaked, my boots full of water and I had a smile on my face.

Please list any pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 5DMK4, 24-105L @40mm, ISO 50, F/16, 1.3 sec. CPL but only dialed in some because I actually liked some of the light reflected on the leaves.

6 Likes

Very beautiful work. A green explosion

Thanks Antonio! I appreciate your kind words. Cheers!

Damn @Nick_Bristol… this is really nice. Perfectly processed with an elegant composition… That light is beautiful and overall the image gives me a great sense of calm. Great shot!

Nick, there’s a backwater area about 5 miles from me that I haven’t visited this year. This is a great reminder of the joys of areas like that with the back lighting of the lush greens and wild willows. This looks like a great canoe/kayak spot. It’s a beautiful, inviting scene.

TJ and Mark, Thanks guys. Really glad you enjoyed this picture. Making pictures in the river bottoms is always a challenge but I sure do enjoy getting in there when I can. Really appreciate your thoughts on it.

1 Like

Great job Nick, I really like this! Every time I see your images from the Wisconsin River I kick myself for STILL not having been there. Been too busy this summer! Please keep reminding me with great pictures :slight_smile:

Hey Brent, Thank You! I’ll try and do that. Maybe we will meet up someplace one of these days.

1 Like

Lovely greens! I’m enjoying this image very much.

Very nice, Nik. Wonderful greens, and the leaves in the water make this one.
-P

Thorsten and Preston, Thank you! So glad you guys enjoyed this! Cheers!

Just gorgeous Nick! I thoroughly enjoy your images from here, not matter the season or conditions.

Lon, Thank You! I’m so glad you enjoy the images I make in the river bottoms and it is a special place for me. Once again they are flooded with 6.5 inches of rain this week so I might not get back in until winter. Winter is one of my favorite times however.

Mr. Bristol. You have produce a first-rate image here. I love the complex balance of the black trees against the green vegetation. Very difficult to bring together, I think. I looked at it for a long time before deciding there is nothing I could do to improve it. Best Wishes. Joe Holly.

Joe, Thank you so much for giving me your thoughts on this image. I so much enjoy these river bottoms when I can get into them and love trying to capture the wonderfully mysterious looks and moods they have. Thank you, Nick

As smile on one’s face is well deserved. You get a sense of quiet stillness along with implied motion through the composition. I like it.

Harvey, Many thanks for the kind words! So glad you like this. Nick

Back
Forward