Rock & Ice and Tree & Ice

Tree & Ice

I took these two images last winter but just processed them after recently reading Minor White Manifestations of the Spirit. I loved his images through the prism of glass detailing frost, snow abstracts. I am posting two images because I cannot disconnect them in my mind. To me they both speak of the immutability of some forms of nature, at least for a time.

Specific Feedback Requested

Comp and processing. Do these two images relate to each other?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

They’re both good images but the second one stands out for me. It’s more creative, more suggestive, and is less literal. Although the first image is also very suggestive as well. They do remind me of Minor White’s work although his image are always razor sharp in execution.

There are several of us here at NPN reading Minor White’s work and I think it’s influencing us. I’m definitely impressed with his approach because I’ve been searching in that direction for some time now.

Only 11 views. What a shame. The 2nd image is exceptional. We don’t often get such good work here. Well, that’s my opinion.

Images like this may not be the best fit for NPN, thats ok. I know I will always get feedback from you on these types of images which is much appreciated Igor.

Where do you go for feedback on this type of work?

BTW, have you found workshops that encourage or help with this?

I dont know where to get feedback other than here. I guess these would be considered more so called fine art images than landscape. Workshops tend to be more landscape -grand oriented. I am hoping for a different experience in Moab off road (no iconic sites) next week.

If Chuck Kimmler is doing workshops I would investigate. His work is also all b&w.

These kinds of images, especially the first, do my head in. I’m a terribly literal thinker so without something for me to latch onto, something “real”, I just don’t connect. That said, the second image works for me much better since I can recognize the forms - leaves, reflections of a bush or tree, and ice. The shapes, textures and tonal range works really well. I like the scatter of leaves on the diagonal. The one crisp leaf is a nice counterpoint.

Since I have no formal art training, haven’t really delved into many individual photographers’ or artists’ work, I can’t comment on how like or unlike this is to Minor White’s. I’ve never deliberately tried to apply another vision into my images either as a way to process or achieve an effect, or a way to shoot so it’s not something I have any familiarity with, another reason shots like this do my head in.

It’s like when I read Percival Everett; I know he’s doing something that I just can’t pick up on and so can’t grasp, but I know he’s doing something. That it’s beyond my ability to see or understand just makes me feel dumb. I know I’m not dumb, I just don’t know everything. So when Everett puts something into play that I can’t grasp, that goes over my head, I feel my limitations and my lack of formal education. It’s at once interesting and a bit humiliating. But I keep trying to read him for the other stuff he does that I do connect with and understand. It’s a way to stretch and so are these photos.

THank you for the feedback @Igor_Doncov @Kris_Smith .
Kris, I have no formal training in photography or other arts either. I do find it very interesting to look at the work of and read about the masters in photography, Weston, White, Koudelka, Strand Cartier-Bresson , Adams and especially recently, others such as Ned Pratt and Guy Tal. All of these people were influenced by those who came before them. They stand on the strong shoulders of them. I like them have been influenced by them. I don’t mimic their vision, theirs colors my own. Like you, I also mostly make representational images, simply what is seen (ie. this is what I saw) but you might find great interest in abstract and metaphorical visions if willing to explore them.

I read an article not too long ago about purposely making images that aren’t perfectly clear about what they are about. The argument made is that the brain finds satisfaction in searching for meaning and is particularly satisfied when it comes upon it. Another words, the obvious becomes boring too soon and there is an attempt to make the viewer linger longer. It’s an interesting idea except that not everything that’s not obvious is interesting or worth looking at. But the point is that these images are not meant to make sense. They’re meant to make ‘your sense’ perhaps if you find meaning in them. That’s how I look at Minor White’s abstracts, which are the best part of his work. They encourage the mind to wander. That’s the conclusion I’ve come to. However, this approach is not for me. At least not entirely.