Royal Spoonbills and oystercatchers intermingling

Technical details: ISO 800, 458mm, f18, 1/1000 sec

Comments and critique welcome. I would particularly appreciate thoughts on focussing in an image such as this with birds at different distances and significant telephoto focal length is in use.

Captured at Foxton Beach estuary, New Zealand.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Overall I like this image, however I do find the birds in the LRC to be a bit of distraction. Overall sharpness looks good to me, and I like that 2 spoonbills are facing the camera, although I think the overall image would be a bit better if more were facing the camera. I see that it would be difficult to compose the photo without the 3 birds in the LRC.

This is quite nice, Rob. You managed to get all the foreground birds in very nice focus and the two birds in flight aren’t bad at all. As far as composition goes, I think the bird in flight on the left balances the foreground birds in the lower right quite nicely. I do wonder what it would look like without the other bird in flight, but I think it probably works better as is than without it. Going as high as you’re able with the f/stop is the only way I know to make this work and you did a great job of that. I envy you having enough light for f/18-that rarely happens in my part of the world.

Well done.

Many thanks John and Dennis for taking the time to provide feedback. John - thanks for the feedback about the oystercatchers in the lower right corner. Dennis - I really appreciate your ongoing commitment to providing feedback.

I am enjoying the distribution of seabirds here. I like the way the three Oyster Catcher’s in the right lower corner balance the two flying birds. The black sand beach certainly offers superb contrast with the Spoonbills. Well done

Thanks for your comments David Schoen - much appreciated as always