Ruby-crowned Kinglet

I was at a camera club outing at a Japanese Garden near Seattle on Saturday and had a 28-200 mm lens on a full frame camera when I came across two of these foraging in a tree. This one actually posed within range and I thought this frame worked reasonably well despite the overhead branch.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
A7Riv, Tamron 28-200 at 200 mm, hand held, f/16 (set for landscapes), 1/100, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4704x3280. Taken Saturday at 9:57 AM.

1 Like

I love this, Dennis! What a great pose and I personally think the branch makes for a nice frame. I think I saw one of these the other day flitting around in some bushes! So cute! Great capture!

Definitely sweet!! Looks like she is trying to decide on the best pose for you. The BG works very well here, with the level of OOF detail very pleasing.

You caught a very nice pose and have some excellent detail. I’d say the background adds rather than detracts given the pleasing and complementary colors.

Nice Kinglet, Dennis, the branch isn’t a problem. It’s usually a challenge to get them to slow down and sit still for a couple seconds. Nice details throughout the bird and some good field marks.

Really superb pose and diagonals in this image. I’m impressed with the level of detail in the plumage especially at such high ISO and large crop. Excellent catchlight. Excellent composition. If I were going to do anything to this image, I would clone away the out of focus branch intersecting the birds lower chest/belly as I find this particular branch draws my eye.

Hi Dennis
The Ruby-crowned Kinglet looks lovely. The upturned head and eye kick are the high-lights of the photograph. There is nothing you could do about the branch and your are correct the photo works.
Peter

Thanks @David_Schoen. I hadn’t even notice that branch and it should be pretty easy to remove.

Dennis, I missed this cute little guy. I just love the way he is looking upward and seems to care less that you are photographing him. Nice details.