Ruddy Turnstone

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details: Canon Rebel 7i, Tamron 70-300mm at 300, 1/2500, f7.1, iso400

Taken at Oregon Inlet (NC) on 11/22/18. I like the bird’s stately posture and the lighting. Wish I had a little more light on the birds left eye and had lowered my iso.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Brian, I think you did a good job in choosing the vertical crop on this image. Detail is excellent. If it were mine, I would probably crop a little bit from the bottom, removing the out of focus foreground up to the sand. Some of the whites are tiny bit hot on my monitor and you could decrease the highlights a little to see how it looks without losing the overall impression of the brilliant white feathers.

A nice low angle and the light does look good, Brian. You might want to crop up from the bottom to eliminate that line of bright white out of focus shells as they draw the eye away from the subject. You could also remove the brighter specular highlights from the upper background.

A nice image with excellent detail.

I took the suggestions and worked up a new image. I learn by doing, having had no PS or LR training. What do you think about the changes. THANKS !

Much improved, Brian. I like it. Next time find one that will give you a sweet head turn and you’ll have it made!

1 Like