Rumpled

I love texture and patterns in nature. Tree bark and the growth patterns of trees never cease to amaze me. This one was no exception. The way this wood seemed to be crumpled up and “tossed on the floor” was beautiful to me somehow.

Specific Feedback Requested

Editing. There is a fair amount of dodging and burning with some curves adjustment layers. I did this to emphasize the contrast between the light and dark areas in the wood, and to also accent the “folds” in the wood.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon EOS R
1/8 Sec. @ f 9
91 mm, ISO 100

Edited in Photoshop (Dodging/burning)
Color enhancement in Lightroom.

@todd.higgins
1 Like

A wonderful growth pattern well framed. I wonder if the darks got a bit choked in the top center and along the left edge, though.

It’s a great pattern, especially with the slight angle and curves in the center. You’ve got very good eye flow from bottom to top.

Todd, I am enjoying the lines and textures you captured in this wood. Amazing that it grew in such a shape and pattern. Very interesting and I think well captured and presented.

Gorgeous treatment of the colours and textures, Todd. Was this part of a living tree, or a piece of old wood which you found?

Thank you. This was a large branch that had broken off of a tree. It was still attached, but I don’t think it had much longer to live

Love trees, and especially where patterns appear so this was a great find Todd and well presented. Exposure and DOF are both fine too.