Sandhill Cranes blended in B/W

These are 3 consecutive shots of a sandhill cranes providing a nice display of its wings - all in 1 image
EDIT Images > More space added to the right - thanks @Dennis_Plank and @Allen_Brooks

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Does the blend work ?
Unfortunately the shrubs below didn’t have consistently dark stems which made it look like this in B/W

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Whilst I have no intention of saying that this was a single image, does the blend look realistic ?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
The 3 blends were easy since all I had to do was a little bit of masking since these were 3 consecutive shots

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

It looks good to me, Karl. I like the display of the wing position and the brush tips look fine. You might look at adding a touch of canvas on the right, but too much would look weird without the brush tips sticking into the bottom of the frame.

To my eye you did a nice job on the blending and the black and white aspect works well. I could see more separation between the three and more canvas on the right to fly into. One question I’d have is were these the vertical positions they were in when shot? Or, are you trying to convey the impression of three different birds? If so, then the positions don’t matter. If you’re trying to show a sequence of the same bird, then I’m not sure this looks natural.

These r 3 consecutive from L to R, Allen. The middle bird has been pulled up and the R lowered a little

And yes, I agree with adding some canvas on the right. The top bird will also get some space

Thanks @Allen_Brooks

A very nice job on the rework, Karl. I like it.

When it involves birds I prefer color, but B/W here is wonderful. Love it.

It is the contrast of the wing tips that made e try this @Jim_Gavin - thanks!

It looks very realistic. I am not sure about cranes but we often get Trumpeter swans flying in small formations like this low over reeds or bushes. Well done and really nice exposure.

1 Like