Savannah Sparrow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Raiding the archives. I was looking for the date we had our backyard pond put in and ran across a series of this bird taken shortly thereafter. I really liked the pose, which for some reason I didn’t choose as one to post back then (I think we were still at two posts a week or something like that). Anyhow, I thought it was worth giving it some exposure, so here it is.

Specific Feedback

I’m interested in composition and the handling of the tonality of the image. The background was rather dark while the perch was very easily overexposed and the bird was kind of in the middle, so I processed all of them separately.

Technical Details

Canon 40D, 500 mm f/4 + 1.4 TC, tripod and gimbal head, f/11, 1/320, iso 320 aperture priority, no compensation. Processed in LR &PS CC. Cropped a bit from the top and left and added some canvas on the right with content aware fill (a breeze with this background). Exposure raised on the background and perch and a curves layer on the bird. Microcontrast enhancement on the bird. Taken April 24th, 2009 at 6:39 p.m.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

This image should be a reminder we don’t need the latest and greatest camera body to capture exceptional photos. A real nice composition, good pose and nice perch, with a clean background. Glad you pulled it out of the archives.

1 Like

A great relic from the past! As Allen said, even with an older camera, a good photographer can capture excellent images.
Definitely a keeper - great pose, very interesting perch, tack-sharp throughout.
Excellent processing., although , from here, the bright part of the stump might be a tad too bright - likely just my monitor.

Definitely worth hard drive diving for - cute pose with the foot position and the perch is different than most bird portraits. The overall tonalities seem in line with the light that looks to be direct and unfiltered. Nice catchlight in the eye and sharpness throughout. Good call to process each section separately. Did you do that with masking and local adjustments or as layers in Photoshop?

Nice one Dennis. Glad you pulled this one out and posted. I like the pose of the bird and the moss on the perch is nice. Processing looks good to me. Fine details too. Well done.

@Kris_Smith My personal preference for that kind of adjustment is as layers in PS. Mainly because I can make finer selections if I need to do so. In this case they were relatively easy, but in some cases defining the edges takes too much time and fussing in LR and I’m used to using a pen tablet to make delicate ones.

Very nice capture. I think it is a fine shot as is. Well done.

Outstanding Dennis. Wonderful detail, pose, and lighting. I like the composition a lot. This is an oldie but goodie .