Sculptures at Biltmore House

I like the acorns and squirrel to the left of the main subject sculpture above, I should have took a closeup shot of that alone.

Closeup of hollow eyes.

I like the way this guy appears to be holding his head up with his left arm and hand, it’s like he is trying to keep his head from falling off :slight_smile:

This was taken at the Biltmore House in Asheville, NC.
I’m not sure what the technical name is for these sculptures, anyone know?
The first one is on the right side of the main entrance of the house.
The second one is just before the entrance in one of the coves.

The eyes are hollowed out in these sculptures as shown in the center image and that’s still the method used today.
In fact, the eyes were made the same way on the presidents busts at Mt. Rushmore.

Specific Feedback Requested

Just sharing really because they’re not nature images but any comments are appreciated.

Technical Details

A7R IV, 90mm Macro, f8, 1/60s ISO 400, Lr & Ps for processing.

I don’t remember these from the Biltmore, but it seems like something they would stick on their house. Along with everything else. LOL. The beardie guy is pretty funny and I think the same thing - don’t let my head roll away! Are they friezes? Not sure. Nice examples you’ve picked out.

Yeah, the lady with the open book is on both sides of the entrance, they don’t look exactly the same but they’re close. The book she’s holding is supposed to represent a “Guest Book”.
The bearded guy is just out of frame on the right.
There are some pretty wild looking sculptures scatter all around that house.

Friezes are long horizontal pieces usually on the wall but up against the ceiling or up against the overhang of a roof, some friezes have sculptures as well.

I just now remembered what these are called, they’re sculptured “Corbels”. Ha, I knew I’d think of it sooner or later (it’s usually later with me :frowning: )

If you zoom in to 100% on the front entrance you can see one of the sculptured corbels I just posted.

Thanks for stopping by, Kris! :slight_smile:

Merv, these are sure fun images. I love picking small slices of a scene to photograph. A building, mountain, anything, really. My favorite lens is a 100-200mm zoom.

I appreciate the descriptions too. Nicely done.

Regards,
David

Hi David,

Yes, me too, obviously :slight_smile:
And…photographing detailed areas like this helps me to remember the experience.

I’m a bit of a technical buff, I always want to know how things were made or created, like how they can make the eyes look so real without glass for example :slight_smile:

I’ve lived in NC for most of my life but have only been to this place twice, it’s only 15 minutes from where my son and daughter in-law live.

Yeah, I need a better lens with a much wider focal range for stuff like this, I just ordered a 150-600 Sigma and I have a 24-105, f4 but the 105 max doesn’t seem to be enough in many cases.
Minimum focus distance is just 22 inches on the Sigma 150-600 so I’m looking forward to seeing how that lens will perform.

Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words :slight_smile:

Merv, You have a good eye for what I call, “Small Scenes” (I did not coin that phrase). I particularly liked the first image, part of a larger structure.