Seaside I

I’m getting back to a few photos I took on a quick vacation to Cuttyhunk Island, MA last year. This is a little beachside scene I found.

Sony a6300
Sigma 60mm f2.8
f/8, 1/80s, ISO400

1 Like

This is a very beautiful little scene. The colors and sharpness are extraordinary. Did you focus stack?

Thanks @Tony_Siciliano! I didn’t focus stack, this is one shot at f/8. It’s very slightly soft in the leaves behind the wood, but everything else is quite sharp.

1 Like

It’s a lovely little scene. The pops of red in the seed pods(?) are nice. The toning and colors are quite harmonious - the proportions of reds/warm tones to the greens/cool tones is well balanced. I could see cropping off a bit on the right so that cut end of the log doesn’t show. It’s the one odd element in the scene.

Pretty scene. Not every photographer would notice this gem. You made good use of the overcast light, and found a good color balance.
I found myself burning the vegetation past the log to keep my eyes in the main scene. That seems to provide a bit of depth, but all that is personal, I know.

1 Like

What vibrant colors. I like the warm greens and am glad you didn’t try to cool this down. Good move to show the outline of the log by including the plants behind it. The log suggests a wide aspect ratio would be good but it’s really not about the log so much. There are several points of interest.

Well this is a charming intimate scene, good bit of seeing on your part Tony to see this composition. I find the seacoast can be a treasure trove of small scenes like this, with interesting vegetation, logs and stones. Everything hangs together very nicely here. I like the way you have distributed everything across the scene, it is nicely balanced. The colors and saturation look good to me.

The orange buds to the left are the fruit of rosa rugosa, or Beach Rose. If you had been at this location a month or so earlier they would have been pink flowers.

This is a great scene with just exceptional elements. This has everything, rocks, shapes, textures, bright colors, and lushness. I dream about finding scenes like this! Pretty much a perfect image EXCEPT for a few teeny tiny things that drive me crazy (thanks OCD!). When I say teeny tiny, I mean it; just four bitty instances where something caught my eye entering or leaving the frame. I cloned those out and now, you have a perfect image! LOLOL. They were so small I actually had to mark them so they could be seen. Now you know what it’s like to live in my brain!

Thanks for the comments @Bonnie_Lampley, @Dick_Knudson, @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_McGuirk, @Bill_Chambers!

Bill, those were not anything I noticed (and I tend to be a little OCD myself), but I do agree that your cleanup improves the image. Thanks for taking the time.

1 Like