Sentinel

I don’t have too much to say about this image. Also taken on last August’s month-long canoe trip to Temagami in Northern Ontario. As I’ve mentioned before, many of the lakes in this vast region were dammed back in the late 1920’s to supply power for the then burgeoning silver mining boom. Where this image was taken on Lady Evelyn Lake, the water level was raised about ten meters (thirty feet), the result being a lot of old, ghostly lumber still standing and penetrating the water line.
I like this image because of how the light showed off the rock below the surface and how the reflection of the rotting post seems to tie the post and rock together.
As always, I’d most appreciate hearing the extent to which this image has any emotional impact and what feelings, if any, come up for you. Any technical feedback with regards to colour, composition etc. would also be most appreciated.

2 Likes

I really like the composition and the bottom half your the picture here. The reflection touching the underwater rock is magnificent. The upper background with all that emptiness and “Whiteness”, if on one hand really make the reflection stand, on the other hand feels a little empty.

Kerry,

I’m amazed at both the stillness of these images and how many you’ve been able to capture on you canoe adventures. And a question - are you shooting from the shore? or from the canoe? (I’m guessing both…) but again I’m just amazed at how perfectly still the water is. And very important element in these images.

This is brilliant! I was immediately captivated by the mystery of “what lies beneath”. Very subtle, yet enough to engage the viewer. I think perhaps you could even entice it a little more with some dodging, or targeting adjustments.

I really enjoy the tonal gradient as well. for sure, if this were only about the stillness of the water and the gradient it wouldn’t have the same impact without the depths beneath the surface coming through. Love this one.

Emotional reaction, feelings? Honestly for me, unless I was there experiencing the moment in time, it’s pretty difficult to garner some emotional reaction - other than what I’ve expressed. Viewing something on t he computer, even in print will never be the same as for those who experienced the capture.

Lon

It feels lonely to me. A last survivor. A last of its kind. The last to have witnessed some great catastrophe. Succumbing with grace; not fighting the inevitability of oblivion. So simple a composition - I like when reflections are cut in this way, too. Just a glimpse of what is obscured elsewhere. Quite intriguing.

I like it, Kerry. It’s sort of a minimalist image. It’s interesting how all these water studies are unique and yet similar. I think the background is superbly registered here. It’s subtle yet it almost glows. You must’ve had some great light when you shot this. The contrast between the fine detail and tonality of the stick vs the water is the other factor that makes this image so good. The snag itself, however, is just ok but not that fascinating. I think you got the most out of what the subject had to offer. I try to put myself in your shoes canoing around these snags and seeing them over and over again and thinking how it must’ve affected your mind and vision. Then I start to understand how an image such as this came about.

Kerry, with so little telling so much in an image. Next to your story of what it’s about. I can make my own by taking time and watching calmly . Beautiful

This speaks to me of gentle melancholy. A last survivor, still standing strong, but lonely.

The tonalities are outstanding. The faintest hint of ripples at the top, grading to darker tones and that submerged rock. The rock makes this. It adds an air of mystery.

I’m really enjoying this image. The stick by itself wouldn’t work and the rock by itself wouldn’t work either but together, they seem united forever. Two unlikely friends that have nothing but each other and nowhere to go. Stuck in time. They are lonely but not alone.
The tonal qualities are superb in this image Kerry. I like that I can just barely make out some water ripples in the upper portion of the scene. Your vision on this really paid off.