Shards

Hi Folks,
This is not an image of shards of glass. It just looked like shards to me. It is an ICM taken at the Newport Harbor, using a very fast diagonal movement from the top left to bottom right. The real world subjects were multiple boats, lines, masts and water reflections.

I spent most of my time at the harbor focusing on reflections, but then I decided that reflections and ICM might be interesting as well.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does this work for you? I like the colors and lines, but as with so much ICM, I can lose my sense of perspective on what holds interest for others. Be honest.

What would you do to improve it: crop? contrast/curves? Saturation adjustments?

Technical Details

Canon 5d3 with 24-105mm at 105mm
ISO 50, f22, 1/4 sec

I like the lower half very much - if the upper half could get the same amount of contrast, it would be a winner in my book.

1 Like

Thanks @Mike_Friel. I might be able to play with the top. It was a natural effect of the differing luminance between ski and ground.
ML

Hi Marylynne, this is a pretty cool ICM. I think it works very well. I might consider darkening up the top half, but only slightly in my view. I think the crop works, the saturation works, and either darkening or contrast to the top might provide a slightly better balance. Well seen.

Thanks, @David_Bostock and @Mike_Friel . I made a slight adjustment to the top half to make it a less light, little more contrasty, cooled it down. The next step would be more drastic (luminance more similar throughout the frame), but I’m not sure that would make it more interesting, maybe just more static punch?

Let me know what you think of this. I’ll play with an alternative version for a few minutes or so and then move on. Thanks for the feedback, as always.

I think I prefer #3, Marylynne. It feels more uniform and there’s a bit more punch to it overall. Nice work taking time to noodle around with it some more.

1 Like

I agree that no 3 has more dramatic effect. It also emphasizes the shards idea, so it’s 3 for me too.

1 Like