Shattered glass

An icy stream in VT

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything to improve it!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Kat, you captured some very nice patterns in this ice. It does remind me of shattered glass. I have never captured images of ice so don’t really have any suggestions for improvement.

Kat: Where I live ice comes in trays and bags. What’s great about images like this is that they can never be duplicated and are completely unique. I might try some different crops or camera angles so that the relatively void area takes up less of the frame but this does work for me as is. The Weekly Challenge this week is Ice Macroscapes so if you have others consider posting them there as well.>=))>

Bill, thanks for your suggestions—living in VT where ice is common has its ups and downs—interesting photos and very slippery roads—especially if you live high on a hill !

Kat, I like all of the pointy shards of ice here. Composition with such shards is quite a challenge since it’s good to let the details show, but hard not to have those details descend into chaos. My approach is to find interesting smaller areas. Like Bill, I see lots of possibilities for alternate comps here, for example the area in the left 1/3 of the frame. Another possibility might be backed away a bit more.