Shower time

Description:

This Anna’s Hummingbird likes to take a shower every time I turn on the sprinkler for a pair of raised beds. There’s a fence around the beds to keep the Deer from nibbling too much and it makes a perfect hummingbird perch.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any ideas on how to bring out the water more?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony A1, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, hand held, f/9, 1/1600, iso 1250, fill flash at -2.3 EV, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4089x3201. Taken September 3rd at 8:20 AM.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Delightful photo, Dennis. Our hummers do the same thing when I turn on the sprinklers, so much fun to watch. As to the water, I can’t be of much help . . .but I love the image.

A pleasingly clean shot…

Such a sweet capture, Dennis! That’s neat to be able to watch behavior that you know will happen again and be ready for it! The only way I would know how to bring out the water more would be a slower shutter speed but then the bird would be a blur…but when I zoom in really close I can see the droplets and even a drop on her beak really well! Hopefully someone will have a suggestion since you will get more opportunities. But I love it the way it is!