Silent Running

A Black Skimmer starts skimming on the pond at St. Marks NWR in the morning with overcast sky and very calm wind and casts almost a perfect reflection.

Photographed with a Nikon D810 and a 500mm f/4 lens and a 1.7x Teleconverter and focal length of 850mm on a tripod.

3 Likes

Eye catching capture. Do you have a horizontal that would give more room for the bird to fly into?

Thank you for your comment :wink: I tried shooting it in a horizonal format but kept clipping the wing, so I switched to vertical to capture it, they move very fast!

Awesome capture - love the reflection

Thank You for viewing my image!

Richard, this is a very cool image. I think it looks great as presented. Because of the stark background, the shapes and lines are emphasized even more, and I think the ripple and trailing line of the splashing water is an important part of that. You could also argue it’s more important to have that line trailing the subject to help tell the behavioral story here. I’d rather see more room behind than in front, given a choice.

Max

Hi Max,

Thank you for your comments! Yes, the trailing line behind the Black Skimmer is part of its behavior and tells a story.

Rick

What a great shot - mirror, and trail on the water! The color definition is superb.