Simple Gifts

Here’s a version with the grass opened per Ian’s suggestion.

One of my long-term goals is to rework some of my older images. This is one from 2011, back when I was shooting with the D80. The biggest changes are that I cropped off the bottom (too much grass for balance) and made the mountain larger to correct for the wide-angle lens.

Any thoughts are appreciated and suggestions for improvement appreciated.

Nikon D80
Nikon 12.0-24.0 mm f/4.0 at 12 mm (18mm equiv.)
Blend of 0.5, 1/6, and 1/4 at f/16 and ISO 100
Four images for DOF and DR![Simple Giftsb|396x500]

Lovely image, John ! I like the comp, with its movement from the fg grasses through to the mountain, and my only suggestion would be for a touch more ( and only a touch more ) light on those grasses which are key to the effect of the image. I love the delicate pastel shades too.

I agree! My monitor doesn’t hold calibration the way it used to, and after seeing your thoughts I recalibrated. I’m adding an adjusted version that opens the grass a little. Thanks for catching that @Ian_Wolfenden !!

Opening the shadow in the FG is a very good choice, John. But I will clone out that arching weed on the bottom edge of the frame near the LL corner.

1 Like

I think the repost is just right, John

1 Like

John. I am with Adhika about cloning out that arching weed .Further just enjoying your composition!!

1 Like

You captured some exquisite light and detail in this serene quiet image, John. I think your subtle tweak of the light on the grasses per @Ian_Wolfenden’s suggestion works perfectly. The pink hues in the sky and reflection are gorgeous as is that lenticular cloud hanging over the mountain peak. My only suggestion is the already mentioned cloning of the arching piece of grass by @Adhika_Lie. Great job on the rework.

1 Like

This is Trillium Lake, right? I’ve meant to go here after seeing some of your earlier images but it’s a bit of a drive from Bend. I think the slight modification you made helps considerably. I have to be honest and say that I’m not fond of the ‘cap’ on the mountain though. Perhaps a greater amount of separation would change things.

2 Likes

The rework looks great to be John, it’s a nice improvement. There’s a lot to like about this image. The color is nice, and it’s a carefully crafted composition. It’s a subtle element within the scene, but I love the light mist dancing on the water near the far shoreline.

And thanks again for posting the tutorial on the sharpening technique you used on this image, it was an interesting read.

1 Like

I chuckled at that @Igor_Doncov, because that’s my favorite part.

Please don’t take that in a spirit it is not intended. One thing I’ve learned here on NPN is that it makes no sense to ask for critiques, and then to immediately criticize and discount the critique. It is much better to say thanks, and then just use the suggestions that work for you and your photograph. Every point is valid, even if it is not your preference.

So, with that said, I more than appreciate the input; it’s just that the variation in personal taste is fun sometimes.

So I’m not assuming wrong, do you mean the lower right @Adhika_Lie ??

John, I am thinking about this one. It is very minor but for whatever reason, my eyes were pulled to it.

1 Like

Got it; thanks @Adhika_Lie.

@Igor_Doncov, I forgot to add that this is Takhlakh Lake northwest of Mt. Adams. It is a bit of a drive to get there, but is a great reflector of Adams like Trillium is of Hood. Just like Trillium, you can get out of your car and walk about 50’ to find great shots. It is a very popular campground, and often fills on summer weekends. If you go, I recommend a weekday during the shoulder seasons, because boats on the lake wreck the smooth water needed for the reflection.

1 Like

Hi @John_Williams, very good shot. You found an interesting compositionin a chaotic spot. I like how you used the trees on the edge to frame the subject. Regarding post processing, i like how you worked. The lenticular cloud above the peak is fantastic.
Thanks for sharing.

As always: when you step in late, there are lots of interesting remarks to read.
I like the image a lot, and I prefer the rework. I had to look twice before I noticed the weeds mentioned by @Adhika_Lie and @Ben_van_der_Sande, so you understand that this is no big deal for me. If there is anything in the image that I like less, it is the branches in the left FG that stand out against the sky. But I am not a fan of modifying images too much, so I would accept that they are there.
The cloud on top of the mountain is nice, but I can understand the @Igor_Doncov’s comment. A bit more separation might be better, but I prefer the image as is over an image without the cloud.

John,

Very lovely and tranquil. I do prefer the added luminosity of the foreground; interesting, it makes it feel less cluttered and adds to the overall scene.

Lon

Overall a very pleasing image. I especially like the mist on the lake in the mid-ground and I think you did a fine job with the re-edit.