Slow Down and Wander Around

I am just returning to these comments on this article - many weeks too late. Thank you for the replies and my apologies for not responding sooner.

@Gregor_Jeric I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the article. The more I photograph small scenes, the more I enjoy them. It sounds like we are on the same page on that point. :slight_smile:

@Ryan_Stikeleather Thanks so much for sharing the example of your fall trip. There is always something to photograph at beautiful locations, which is why setting aside expectations can be a good thing in my experience. Without preconceived ideas of a place, you are able to see what the landscape is offering at the time of your visit and take advantage of the opportunities as they are presented. I hope that you can find some field practices that work well for you - being enjoyable, allowing you to feel like you are taking advantage of your time in the field, and that are productive for photography of all sorts.

@Igor_Doncov Thank you for the comments. I should have prefaced my article by saying that these practices make up the bulk of my time in the field but that I also still enjoy chasing the light, moving fast, and going to a place with preconceived ideas on occasion. There is room for both but I think some time with a slower pace and focus on exploration is essential for creative photography. I also agree with you that some locations are more fertile than others, especially for people who focus on grand landscapes. For people who enjoy small scenes, however, I do find that I can make photos I like in almost any location (even with a pretty plant in a store parking lot…).

The topic of influence is a harder one to address here because it is so complex. I will say one thing… For the last year or so, I have mostly been following Cole Thompson’s practice of photographic celibacy (not looking at other people’s photographs because they create too much of an imprint on my mind and thus cloud my own vision). This year of near-photographic celibacy has been my happiest and most productive. Influence for me is best when it comes from nature or sources beyond other nature photographers. This would be a great topic for a stand-alone article in the future!

@Dan_Kearl Thanks for the comment on this post, Dan. I think your comment captured a point I missed well. There is room for all kinds of photography practices, like chasing the light in a wonderful place like Iceland but also having the ability to slow down and notice details that might be as inspiring as the big scenes, just in a different way, both in epic locations like Iceland and at your neighborhood park.

@Matt_Payne Thank you for making the time to read this article. Based on your year-end photos for 2018, it seems like you are doing a great job of integrating some of these practices in your own work. Your hard work this year shows through your photos.

@Jimmy_Gekas Thanks so much for the comment on this post, Jimmy. The examples you share are a perfect illustration of why I love slowing down. I too find that it is more fun to just explore and see what there is to see rather than going to a big place with specific expectations and often being disappointed. You have been creating some wonderful small scenes and nature portraits recently so this approach is clearly paying off for you.

3 Likes

Not only are images made too quickly, they are VIEWED too quickly. 27 seconds to be precise. A study has shown that viewers at museums spend an average of 27 seconds on a great painting. This prompted museums to have a Slow Art Day, April 9th, asking a viewer to spend at least 10 minutes to look at one single painting.

artnet news

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this, Igor. I bet that most people scroll past photos on Instagram with far less than 27 seconds of viewing time. I myself am trying to be better about not mindlessly consuming photos but instead stopping to think about them and give the photographer more consideration and respect. Thank you for sharing this idea and encouraging it here.

I don’t know if it’s bad form to reply to your own comment, but here goes. I know it’s probably too early to be thinking about fall photography—at least that’s what my wife keeps telling me—but I can’t help it. And that got me thinking about @Sarah_Marino’s article from last year. So I read it again, and yup…the article is just as good as I remember it.

I also just watched a YouTube video from Andy Mumford, and he brought up a lot of the same topics too. So, once again, thank you @Sarah_Marino for such a great article!

1 Like

@Ryan_Stikeleather - It is not too early to be thinking about fall colors - they are just around the corner! We were up at about 11,500 feet a few days ago and the willows are starting to change in places, so it will be just a few weeks until fall colors are in full effect, at least in Colorado. I hope you will find some of the ideas I shared in my article to be helpful once you head out to wander around among autumn trees. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I loved this article and continue to enjoy everything I’m seeing on this site! I’m in photography purely as a hobby to share my adventures, and even still, I’ve found myself incredibly overwhelmed and stressed out about it lately as I try to learn to be a better photographer. In the past i just brought my gear on my hikes, and if I found a cool shot, i would take it. That hasn’t really resulted in many pictures I’m happy with though, and I’ve found myself more and more keeping my camera in my bag, knowing the lighting isn’t good or i won’t have time. So for the most part, I’ve been focusing on enjoying nature.

But as I try to improve my images, I’m stuck in the position of chasing light, planning locations, times, etc. So while I loved the read and understand the philosophy, I’m struggling to grasp how you actually practice it. Even eliminating the planning aspect, good light is still very limited each day at each scene. I feel like slowing down would mean accepting poor lighting (at times) and I’m curious how to work with that.

Thanks for the article!

2 Likes

Hi @Casperson_CJ CJ - I’m on vacation this week but will answer your question when I get home. I think this topic deserves an article so I hope that I’ll have more to share in a week or so. Thanks for asking a great question!

1 Like

Thanks so much Sarah! Have a good vacation :slight_smile:

Hi @Casperson_CJ -

I wrote a 3,500 article in response to your question and then decided that it would make more sense as an ebook rather than an article. So… I will try to offer a quick summary here. I will start by quibbling with your point that “good light” only lasts for a short time each day. If your definition of “good light” is colorful light at sunrise or sunset, you are correct that such light only occurs during short periods each day.

I do not think in terms of “good light.” Rather, I try to find subjects in whatever conditions are present. There is no such thing as bad or poor light. For example, we spent two hours yesterday photographing backlit leaves under bright clear skies in the middle of the afternoon. This is considered “bad light” by many photographers but I think I took some pretty nice photos.

This leads to my second point. I have an expansive view of nature photography, which helps a lot. I enjoy photographing grand landscapes, small scenes, abstracts, plants, and trees in color and black and white. This means that I can find something to photograph in pretty much any light at any location.

I also work on minimizing my expectations. I instead show up with an open mind and then follow what the landscape is offering up on that particular day. I come prepared with all my lenses and a willingness to explore/experiment with what catches my eye. I only check the weather so I know what to expect and do not let it influence my decision to go out (for example, I photograph a lot under clear skies). I also spend a lot of time literally wandering around - finding a trail, walking it slowly, and stopping when something catches my eye.

Based on what you say in your comment, I think my advice comes down to two points: 1) try to move beyond the idea of “good light” and “bad light” and 2) expand your definition of what makes a good nature photo. If you are solely focused on grand landscapes under colorful light, this advice/approach might not be for you. But, if you are open to expanding your definition of what makes an interesting photograph, you might be able to find more subjects under all different conditions - including what you might see as “poor light” right now. I hope this helps.

3 Likes

I agree light is where ever you find it. Recently, the mornings have bee foggy and interesting light has lasted much longer