Smoky Mountain Gobbler

Hi All,

Shot this guy years ago in the Smoky Mountains. The “smoke” refers to the ground fog common in the area.

In post, I added some canvas to the left and cropped in a bit from the right to move the bird further off center. I also brought the exposure and shadows down to accentuate the silhouette and warmed up the WB a bit. Finally, I resized and sharpened the bird and removed noise from the BG. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D3s
200-400 + 1.4x TC @ 550mm, handheld
1/2000
f/5.6
ISO 1000

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@feelingruby

A neat silhouette image of this guy, Lyle. I like all the space you gave him. The fog in the background adds a lot to this image.

Nice one, always love these kind of mystic images with fog and silhouettes. I like the layers as well. Cheers, Hans

Lovely silhouette and pose leaves no doubt about what kind of bird this is. And I like the spacious composition.

This has too much of a green cast for my taste. Other than that, I really like this shot. It really caught my attention when scrolling through. I think there’s just enough detail in both grass and bird and the silhouette is distinctive. What you’ve done with the composition works really well.