Smoky w/Rework

Rework with minor dodging/burning to even out:

Original:

I know this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea/coffee/milk. But here’s another ICM of grasses in my yard. I felt the hazy soft look would work better in B&W and I tried to get that Lenswork Brown tone that @Alfredo_Mora mentioned in another post. Not sure I succeeded there.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

23mm, .75 sec @ f/4, ISO 160, 4 stop ND.

1 Like

I have to go find that post, but I do think you got it! And that the image deserves it! Simple elegance, where the subject doesn’t need to enter one’s thoughts. I normally do dark roast but this makes me want a latte.

1 Like

Wow, David! You are so good at these ICM’s! I really love the 3 dimensional depth you’ve achieved with this. And black and white seems like a really good choice, even though it probably looks good in the original color too!

1 Like

Hi David, I too am trying to recall that Lenswork Brown but can’t remember where I mentioned it. Regardless thank you for the mention and I’m sorry it has taken a while to respond.

I’m happy to see you pursue more ICM images. This one has fleeting quality about it. Maybe it’s because it reminds me of smoke. I think it works well in black and white and with the toning applied. Again I would not have guessed the original subject was grasses. Well done.

Thank you, @Diane_Miller, @Vanessa_Hill, and @Alfredo_Mora for the kind comments. Much appreciated.

And my bad, I thought it was one of your posts, Alfredo, but it was one from @Cody_Schultz: Rhododendron and Roots

I’m not sure how Cody did it, but I used the Split Tones tool, just made both Highlights and Shadows the same: Hue 39 and Saturation 5.

Thanks again for the comments.

Regards,
David

1 Like

Really sweet image, David. Put me in the column for never guessing this was grasses. I LOVE the black and white treatment that you applied to this. The title is perfect! You might try and bring out some of the highlights on the left side of the image to balance the bright spot just right of center or bring down the darks and shadows on the left side of the image to better match the right side. Not sure what will work but those are two ideas to possibly give it better balance left to right as the right side is darker. Terrific ICM though. When I first saw it I thought it was flames. Smoke works too. So good.

@David_Haynes, thanks for the comments and suggestions. I split the difference and did a bit of dodging and burning to even things out. The rework is posted above.

Cheers,
David

Well done. Much better balance, David.

1 Like

David,

Another wonderful ICM. This one has me thinking dreamy thoughts and of a dandelion gone to seed… with all those thingys flying off to make more weeds (I mean flowers…) Very dreamy, beautifully captured.

Although subtle, I really like the reworked version. This just so soft and well, say it again, dreamy.

Makes me want to hit the backyard. Well, maybe when the temps drop be below 100…

Lon

1 Like

Nice piece here David.

The Lenswork Brown presets can be found through this online thread. I remember there being a place on Lenswork directly that it was linked to, but I cannot seem to find it anymore. I’ve modified mine a bit, cutting the saturation in half, as I felt it was a bit too much warmth for most my images.

1 Like

Thanks @Cody_Schultz. Wow, so I pretty much nailed it with my Split Tones settings: Highlights and Shadows the same: Hue 39 and Saturation 5. The saturation is half like you said above. (Patting myself on the back) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like