Snowcap

This is the second time in well over 10 years that I’ve had an opportunity to photograph these Snowcap Hummingbirds. It was difficult the first time I tried, no different this time out. Of the 5 or 6 good shots I managed this one caught the bird fairly still and had the cleanest background.

Costa Rica

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all feedback appreciated

500mm f/4
1/2000s@ f/5.6
ISO 1000
1/3 EV
Gitzo Monopod w/ RRS MH-1 head
Topaz AI Clear/ LR CC/ Photoshop CC

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Beautifull flower and creamy BG.
Cool bird - seems a little dark, though. I wonder what selectively lighting him up would do?
Sandy

Without exception, this was the most difficult experience in avian photography I have ever attempted. I like this a lot and having been there, I can attest to the color as being accurate. Maybe one of mine turned out but it is going to require major post cloning work to remove the oof grasses,etc.

A lovely little hummer. I’ve had the fortune to photograph this species as well. The male is just a treat to see. I like the position, perch, and flower.

It feels like the image is lacking a bit of contrast and I too feel it is a bit on the dark side. I took a look at the image in PS and made a few adjustments to address some of those thoughts. Here’s the result.

Thanks Keith for the work up, and Sandy as well for your comments. I like the slight adjustment Keith, and in spite of the overcast conditions we encountered the bird shows better with the adjustment. I’ll make a correction to the file as I process the image for further posting.

Best,

Chuck

Charles, this is amazing. I really like what you have captured here and having shot in a similar situation before I think you have done a mighty job here. I like what Keith has done, should be much better quality when starting with the big PSD file.

A great composition with the two snaky branches crossing, Chuck. I can see why this is a difficult species with that dark plumage, but it sure is gorgeous.

Thanks Dennis. Yea, the vegetation these guys prefer is very dense, which make it difficult to find a clean window and pray nothing gets between you and the bird. One thing for sure is it’s a lot of fun photographing these guys, and one heck of a workout!