Soft Light w/Rework 2

Rework with Magenta desaturation:

Rework with Crop:

Original:

This was taken this morning on a walk through my neighborhood. As I walked along the protected marsh land, I saw these trees and decided to try yet another ICM. I had my Fujifilm X100V with me. A small point and shoot but with a 26mp APS sensor. The lens is a 35mm equivalent, so I knew I didn’t have much room for movement without getting the sky in the scene. I thought I had something decent on the back of the camera and was pleasantly surprised with the result when I processed the raw file. I like the soft, subdued colors (this was about 30 minutes after sunrise, so light was still muted).

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Fujifilm X100V, 35mm, 0.8 sec @ f/6.4, ISO 160

3 Likes

Whoa, these colors!!! Drop dead gorgeous. What else can I say. You nailed this ICM, David!

Love the colors and the textures in this one David. You gotta love it when you can get something as good as this just walking around the neighborhood. Your little Fuji did you proud.

Agree with the others, great colors and texture. Very good work, with the given circumstances you managed to not get too bright streaks in the image.

Love the soft pastel colours David, and just the right amount of texture and detail.

Wonderful motion and soft colors David. The exposure looks just about right to me. A very playful image for sure.

I know crops are highly subjective but currently the image feels heavy towards the right. I think it’s because of the tree trunk on the right edge. Cropping that off may focus the eye more on the wonderful lighter tones i the center of the image. Thank you.

@Donna_Callais, @David_Haynes, @Ola_Jovall, @AndreDonawa, and @Alfredo_Mora thank you for the kind comments and suggestions.

Alfredo, I struggled with the crop, thinking it might take away from the scene, but I like it and have added it to the original post above.

Thanks, David

David, here is another crop possibility:

1 Like

Love the colors, David. You have definitely perfected the art of slow motion with these ICM images. I do like the re-worked crop, as it seems to be weighted more evenly. Great shot.

1 Like

Thank you @Ola_Jovall and @linda_mellor for your comments. Ola that’s a nice crop. I’ll do that one as well.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

David,

dang, thought I had already responded. In fact I had a working edit going on… but now I don’t, so I’ll just have to wing it.

Love the ICM David, right up my alley. I much prefer the first crop. It really simplifies the scene without losing any of the impact or impression.

The only feedback or suggestion I have would be to nuetralize the color a little bit in the main trunk. At least to my eye and monitor it’s got a good magenta component to it. Of course personal choice, but this is one of my least favorite colors to work with in PS and images in general. And of course with this style of image you can take the color/sat/contrast to any level of desire - and nothing would be wrong!

Lon

1 Like

Wonderful!! Fascinating textures and squiggles! I like both versions but prefer the crop. I don’t mind the magenta as such but am not wild about it alongside the soft yellowish greens – for reasons I don’t understand. An image like this gives ample room to bend colors and that could be fun here – but it’s your vision that counts, and you definitely have the cred for whatever you choose.

@Lon_Overacker and @Diane_Miller thank you for the suggestions. I really value them because I sometimes can’t see the color cast until someone mentions it. (Dang Red/Green color blindness). Anyway, I have posted a new rework above with the Magenta desaturated. Let me know if that works. And thanks for being my eyes. :slightly_smiling_face:

I forgot about your color vision issue – apologies! Trusting nature’s colors (or the camera’s interpretation of them) is good enough! I’m just inclined to change them, sometimes. Women are like that…

Diane, I truly appreciate you bringing up any color casts that I might have missed. When I was doing wedding photography (a horrible occupation, believe me) I used my wife’s “eyes” to make sure I did not have red or green faces in the images. :slightly_smiling_face:

So, please if you notice something, let me know. I really need and value it.

Cheers,
David