Southern Oregon Coast: A Sheography™ Women’s Photography Workshop
May 15-19, 2018
Limited to 10 women - SOLD OUT - Please email Colleen for waitlist.
Calling all the ladies! Since 2011, Colleen’s all-women’s workshops have helped inspire photographic growth, personal development,wanderlust, and life-long friendships. And Sheography™ aims to continue that, to help women of all ages, backgrounds, and photographic skill become “the woman you were meant to be through the art of photography and adventure.”
Join Colleen and other Sheographers for this photographic adventure along the southern Oregon Coast!
We’ll base ourselves in the outskirts of Bandon on a specially-rented private house with a whopping 10,000-square-feet of living space and six-acres of land to roam in the hills above the Coquille Valley and River. No stuffy hotel here! You can be sure we’ll enjoy the 180-degree views of the surrounding area with a fire blazing in the fire pit on the deck on an evening or two! Can you say “s’more’s”?
We’ll be just minutes away from the photogenic Face Rock Scenic State Viewpoint and Bullards Beach State Park where rugged sea stacks, lighthouse, and patterned sandy beaches await. (Maybe even some Vellela vellela too!) To continue putting our photography skills and learnings to good use, we’ll also make half-day road trips to Cape Blanco, Shore Acres State Park, and Cape Arago to explore even more sandy beach scenes, boats, and lighthouses through our lenses.
In the learning-intensive, supportive, and small group setting characteristic to Colleen’s/Sheography workshops, we’ll push ourselves to try new things photographically and creatively. Through a balance of field-based sessions, casual presentations, and open discussions, attendees will learn more about how to:
- Incorporate the creative process into your photography to make unique and meaningful images
- Connect on a personal level with the southern Oregon Coast’s grand and intimate landscapes through mindful observations
- Tap into visualization, visual language/composition, and lighting to create emotionally-driven photographs
- Technically translate what you know, see, and feel into an effective photograph using exposure controls, depth of field, filters, etc. We’ll place a special focus on techniques that allows you to slow water movement and balance exposures between land and sky–two of the biggest challenges when photographing the coast.
- Get immediate feedback on your work in the field and during image critique sessions
And you’ll have a blast in the process!
Best suited for mobile, sure-footed participants who are capable of hiking up to two-miles roundtrip on uneven, sandy or rocky terrain while carrying their gear. Spry individuals may wish to climb over rocks, get their feet wet in the shallow surf, and trek through shallow freshwater streams along the coast, but none of that is not required to make great photographs.
- Four (4) nights lodging in your own room in a private house (SINGLE-occupancy with shared bath; two rooms have en suite bathrooms and can be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis for an additional $200/person–please request early! Rooms will be assigned first-come, first-served based on registration date.)
- Photography instruction (classroom, field, and two critique sessions) plus handouts
- Oregon permits & park entrance fees
- Welcome dinner and drinks on the evening of May 15
- Continental-style breakfast snacks prior to sunrise shoots (e.g. bagels, muffins, fruit, coffee/tea)
- Water and snacks throughout the workshop
- An invitation to join the closed “CMS Photography: Workshop Alumni Forum” Facebook group
- Sheography™ swag!
- Airfare to Oregon (best airports to fly into are Medford-MFR or Portland-PDX)
- Transportation to/from/during the workshop–carpooling during the session will be encouraged!
- Participants’ breakfasts, lunches, and dinners (we’ll definitely want to sample the local fare, but the estate has a communal refrigerator so individual meals can be prepared at the house in lieu of dining out)
- Trip insurance
This workshop is sold out. Please email Colleen for waitlist.
All cancellations must be provided in writing. Cancellations made:
- At least 90 days prior to the workshop start date: A full refund, minus a $50 administrative fee, will be granted
- 89-61 days prior to the workshop start date: A full refund, minus the full deposit paid will be granted
- 60 days or less prior to the workshop start date: No refunds will be issued.
If the vacated spot happens to fill prior to the workshop at any time, then a full refund, including the balance paid and the deposit minus a $50 administrative fee, will be granted.
There are no exceptions to this policy. CMS Photography strongly encourages you to purchase trip insurance to protect yourself in the event of unexpected circumstances preventing you from attending our workshops.