Spilled Paint + Repost

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400-GII @ 210mm
ISO 200, 1/20 @ f16
While visiting one of our sons in Redondo Beach Chrissy and I made a side trip to the South Coast Botanical Gardens. We’re kind of like moths to flames when it comes to garden sites like this; she for the plants and me for the photo opportunities. One thing that attracted me was the bark patterns and textures on some of the gum trees. Reminded me of an old painter’s drop cloth. All comments welcome. >=))>

3 Likes

I’m really liking this one, Bill. It has all the elements that make an abstract exciting to read. The pastel colour palette is wonderfully subtle with the greens spotted with rust. I love the way you’ve handled the texture by not pushing the clarity and keeping it soft. All the pits and cracks provide for a wonderful composition. Nicely seen and composed.

I really like this one, Bill. Great colors, patterns and textures. I pulled it into PS and gave it a 90 degree CW rotation and quite like the difference. Either way, nicely done.

I like the patterns and textures Bill. The lines and shapes also add a lot of interest.

Totally agree with the other comments Bill. Truly a lovely photo. Nicely seen and captured.

I totally agree with the comments of others. I, also, thought the same thing as Harley about the rotation. That way it looks more like a landscape. Maybe a sunset over snow covered mountains. Nice photo.

One of the best things about NPN is sharing our thoughts with other photographers. Rotating the image CW never entered my mind until Harley and Chris mentioned it but when I did so I had a forehead slap (trying to knock some sense into me - results pending :wink:) So here is the landscape orientation. This may also be an instance of how we see photographically. For some reason I seem to see portrait comps more naturally than landscape. When I examine my NPN posts a significant number are portrait compared to the portfolios of others. I’m interested in any comments in that regard as well. Thanks to all for their input. >=))>

Totally agree with you Bill, about NPN being a great avenue to share thoughts. I’ve learned so much in just the few months I’ve been posting here. With regards to landscape vs portrait, I’ve always done both, but tend see and feel what the image is saying to me.

Definitely the landscape version for me, Bill. For some reason I seem to run in cycles shooting portrait or landscape. I am not sure why, but right now it seems as though my vision sees the scene horizontally probably about 70% of the time. Sounds like a good discussion topic. Anyway, your image is gorgeous. My initial impression was of a rock until I read your description. I am enjoying the color palette here along with the diagonal flow of the horizontal version. Absolutely no suggestions from me.