Spring Rain

From May of this year, at the State Botanical Garden of Georgia. I tried to convey the feeling of darkness as evening was approaching after the rain had ended.

Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 at f/1.2, Sony A7, ISO 800, 1/1250s, CaptureOne.

And a bit more of technical stuff. This is somewhat of a “cult lens” from almost 50 years ago. If you are familiar with old Rokkors you will probably recognize the unique color rendering. But what this lens is really all about is a unique combination of sharpness with the softest bokeh imaginable. They don’t make them like this anymore…

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.
2 Likes

Very nice bokeh and a standout poppy!

1 Like

Excellent color and detail. I like the contrasting colors and the soft background.

1 Like

Very nice bright color and detail on that flower! Thanks for the detail on the lens.

1 Like

Alberto: Wonderful comp and capture. The water droplets are icing on a very nice cake. I have a couple of the old Minolta Rokkors myself but haven’t used them in years. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you mate it to your Sony and what did you have to do to control metering and exposure? >=))>

1 Like

Hi Bill - thanks for the kind words - truly appreciated. Regarding using old lenses, it is quite straightforward. All you need is an adapter, in this case for Minolta md lens to your camera mount. I shoot with Sony mirrorless, so that would be “Sony E” or “Nex”. If you use some other camera then you would need an adapter for your mount. You can look for them on B&H, Amazon or ebay, and you can get a decent quality one for 20 dollars or less, good ones for a bit over 50. There are some camera - lens combinations that don’t work, because of flange distance incompatibility, but not many. Focusing on mirrorless is a cinch, with image magnification, plus focus peaking if you want. If you shoot with a DSLR then I strongly suggest that you focus on live view, as optical viewfinders don’t have the focusing aids that film SLRs did and getting critical focus can be tricky. Metering is also very easy. You have several options. In most cases I use aperture priority, set the ISO that I want and aperture that I want and let the camera choose the shutter speed. Another neat trick is to use shutter priority and set ISO on Auto, with some high limit that you are comfortable with. You set the speed manually and aperture manually and let the camera choose ISO. You need to remember that the camera has no way of knowing what aperture you are using, but other than that exposure is accurate - the camera just measures the light that it gets and adjusts accordingly. I tend to overexpose 1/3 to 2/3 stops to get detail in the shadows, but this is just personal choice. You can also be a real old timer and use fully manual exposure, but I seldom do as the other two methods are much simpler.
I hope this helps - and if you have old Rokkors don’t even think of getting rid of them. They are outstanding and modern sensors bring out qualities in them that film was never able to do justice to. The color, contrast, sharpness and bokeh are simply magnificent and, in my view, more “natural” than what you get from modern lenses. I have quite a collection of them and love them !!!:grinning::grinning: Good light!!