Starry Rosinweed

Description: Rosinweeds (Silphium spp.) are native to North America. There are more than 15 species found growing across the continent, in a variety of habitats and environments. Like sunflower, rosinweeds have rough, tough stems and leaves. The common name “rosinweed” refers to the sticky sap produced by the plant, which was chewed by Native Americans rather like gum. They are excellent pollinator attractors, and small birds eat the seeds.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM, f/11, 1/1000 sec., ISO 2000, Ev -1.5 step, Hand Held. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Terry, I can see why you were attracted to the graphic shapes of the flowers, but you had a tough background to work with here. However, I think you did a pretty good job minimizing the background distractions. The chain link is still recognizable, but not really that intrusive to me. The OOF blue does work with the yellow flowers. To me the most distracting part of the background is the white band at the bottom.

I think a tighter crop could eliminate the white band, an place more emphasis on the graphic shapes of the flower itself. Here is a rework with a suggested crop, it was just easier to do it than to explain it.

1 Like

Yeah, I like it, Ed. Thanks