Steer's out on the range

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All please

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All please

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

5D mk IV, Laowa 100mm macro APO, ISO 2000, f22, 1/10, mounted to Mathews wedge and RRS focusing rail. 1.7 x magnification.
Steers Head (Dicenta uniflora) a early riser in the flower community and always a bit shy. I have found five this season and only two last spring. These little critters usually like to hide under sagebrush and being only 3.5cm tip to tip they are challenging to find. Working in a bit of a windy ecosystem kept me challenged to maintain sharpness of the subject. Using a 12 x 18" silk scrim to defuse light from overhead helped give some relief to the hurricane like winds. Additionally use a black 12 x 18" scrim to give some shading to the background offering a bit of contrast from the Steer Head and the soil.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

Michael, I sure can see how that flower got itā€™s name! It sure does look like a steerā€™s head. I have never seen one of these before. I really like the composition. You did really well in a windy situation. Looks like that lens does a nice job and getting in to tiny subjects. I am looking forward to more of your work.

Michael: Made me LOL when I saw the thumbnail. Most excellent find and a fine capture. Many kudos.>=))>

What an interesting flower. That you have been able to locate one seems quite fortunate given their scarcity. I like the image. I agree with Shirley re: composition and Billā€™s ā€œmany kudosā€ compliment. I see a moray eel.

Thank-you Jim,
Yes its a bit tricky to find and like most things once you see one more seem to magically appear right in front of you. There in the same family as Bleeding Heart (Dicentra Formosa) a very common flowerer around Washington. Once you recognize the leaf you know your getting close. Now that you mention it I to see the moray eel. Thanks for the input.

Thank-you Bill,
Iā€™m be heading out tomorrow to see if I can wrangle another into my lens. I donā€™t want to spook the little feller but my try some back lighting with strobe and small snoot.

Thank-you Shirley,
There cute for sure, and once you post their image on a local page of Facebook EVERYONE wants to know where they are. Rest assured I never share locations for fear the area would be trampled and damage to sensitive plants and ecosystem. Iā€™m be heading out tomorrow to see if I can wrangle another into my lens. I donā€™t want to spook the little feller but my try some back lighting with strobe and small snoot. Wish me luck.

1 Like

Thanks for showing this most unusual flower, Michael - itā€™s always interesting to see rarities and it must be a joy to seek them out. Very nicely captured - and would love to see a shot from a distance to take in the whole plant ( if that doesnā€™t become too messy ! )

Agree that it is always fun to learn of new and different flowers from those in our home locations. Certainly understand why it was given its name. Thanks for posting this.

Michael,

Great find and great job framing and isolating this little guy. Also, Iā€™d have to say great job shielding and managing the direct light and darkening the bg. The soft light is lovely.

The processing looks good too.

Is this full frame or did you crop to this? If you cropped and you have more, Iā€™m wondering if adding just a skosh more space to give this flower a bit more room. Very minor as the space around those two corner pedals is just enough, but borderline tight.

Lon