Still Standing II & III

Wrangell St Elias NP - Kennecott
After the previous image my wife and I hiked up to the area above the mine head. Do you have any preference for the landscape vs portrait orientation? All comments welcome.>=))>

. . . . and the portrait

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I have a pretty strong preference for the horizontal version, Bill. The mountain peak and the extra terrain between pull the building out and make it look even larger.

Excellent images.

Put me down for the horizontal, as well. It gives a fine sense of place and some fine scenery to boot. Another nice mine image.

Yup, horizontal for me too, and in fact one of the finer pics I’ve seen of the old mill. Part of that is the better light in the horizontal.

If your out there again take three+ verticals and stitch as a pano. I don’t think one shot either as h or v conveys the drama of such dilapidation, mans folly vs nature, under those grand mountain peaks.

I wonder how the image sits on a compass. Could be great location for light painting and astro work.

Also why are the halos running thru all the skyline edges. Over sharpened ?

Horizontal for me, Bill, shows so much more of the area and the ruggedness of the location, really like it!

I don’t have a preference, Bill - they are just different images I feel. The landscape version fits well with an interest in the setting of this old structure, the portrait version has perhaps a stronger comp. aesthetically. with that nice fg lead in from the splay of timber.

I have a strong preference for the horizontal. The bright line above the mountain is easily corrected. Did you fly in or drive in?

I disagree on the idea of “man’s folly vs nature”. Kennecott operated as a self-contained system, with a school, activities and profitability. This was one of the purest and richest location of copper ore in the world. From 1911 to 1938 over $200 million worth of ore was mined here. While the climate and terrain were forbidding (mountainous and winter temps regularly 40 below zero), the operation ran well and became almost a family. It failed not because nature won, but because much cheaper sources of copper ore were found in the lower 48 and South America.

1 Like

Phil: We drove in. Because of stops on the way in we didn’t have the chance to explore as thoroughly as we wanted but it was still a neat experience. I agree with your sentiments regarding calling this folly. More a testament to persistence and innovation. >=))>

Hi Phil, thanks for destroying my sense of the story!

Images are an illusion and not a Wikipedia.

“In fact, every photograph is a fake from start to finish” 1904- Edward Steichen. (Top 100 Photo)

http://100photos.time.com/photos/edward-steichen-moonlight-pond. Sold for $3m